Hello, I'm a complete newbie

Kuucinja

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really want to become a photographer, i am going to take courses as well, but for that i need equipment, and really, all i know is that i need a Canon. A photographer suggested me 1.8 (50mm) lens, but that's all i know for my personal camera. Any suggestions and maybe explanations, since i don't understand anything about cameras or models? What makes the difference? Also, please no professional cameras and such, i can't afford very expensive ones since i need to pay for the courses as well. Thanks!

I really want to become a photographer, i am going to take courses as well, but for that i need equipment, and really, all i know is that i need a Canon. A photographer suggested me 1.8 (50mm) lens, but that's all i know for my personal camera. Any suggestions and maybe explanations, since i don't understand anything about cameras or models? What makes the difference? Also, please no professional cameras and such, i can't afford very expensive ones since i need to pay for the courses as well. Thanks!

Hi,

sounds like you have a good plan! I fully agree with your comment to invest more into courses.

So go ahead: Buy any entry level Canon Camera (or any other brand) you like, add the 50mm 1.8 lens and learn! Learn by investing into classes, learn by taking photos!

And don't get distracted about the discussions regarding what gear or camera to use - especially in the beginning you should just take photos!

Enjoy Photography!
Andreas

Andreas has the right idea. Buy an entry-level camera, and get a 50mm lens, and get started. Canon makes the cheapest 50mm f/1.8 lens of any camera maker. It's not a very " pretty " imager, but most people will not notice its bokeh quality. Canon's 50mm f/1.4 is a nice lens, and performs better than their econ-50. Nikon's 50mm f/1.8 G-series costs a bit more than Canon's 50/1.8 model, but less than Canon's 50mm f/1.4 model.

Anyway, no matter what you buy, the learning curve is pretty much the same for any gear. The important thing is to get some gear, and then start studying, practicing, and learning and improving.

You asked, "What makes the difference?" The BIGGEST difference is the education, skill, and experience of the person behind the camera. An experienced photographer, one who has been educated and who has learned about photography methods and techniques and theories, will almost always be able to out-shoot the gearhead with a big wallet but no education/experience/practice in photography.

A lot of people get bent out of shape when I use the word "education" in regard to photography, but I do not mean to be elitist. I mean education, wherever it is found--books, on-line courses, hands-on tutoring, workshops, YouTube videos, and so on. Learning about lighting and photography improves one's...photography. The education, what is retained from the learning process, is more critical than the specific camera or lens.

Last edited:
But with an entry level DSLR (for example the T5i) then the 50mm lens is a bit long for general use.

Read this other thread:
Sorry not again Photography Forum

Another forumer looking for equipment for training. There are some suggestions there as well.

I like the prime lenses approach. I'd think of a 35mm f/1.8 to start with, instead of a 50mm lens.

I started off with the Canon t3i and the 18-55mm kit lens. Used that lens to learn all of my settings, the exposure triangle, ect ect then upgraded to the 50mm f/1.8. It's okay, but I wanted the best portrait lens in my budget so also bought an 85mm f/1.8 and love it.

You should find out what the course you intend to take requires for a camera and lens first.
^This. I don't know where you are but a number of beginner's classes still teach film. You may find out you need to start off with a basic used film SLR and a 50mm.

I love seeing a potential Canonista in the making. :) Hi Kuucinja! Just thought I'd drop in a thought or two...

First, take courage. Photography is more about you than it is about the camera. Yes, there are advantages to expensive camera models; but the skills you bring to the table can potentially make even cheaper cameras perform very well. Honestly, if you have a smartphone with a fairly decent camera on board and an equally decent camera app, you can get started right away with concepts like exposure and composition (two essential skills to possess). Plus you'll have the instant gratification of seeing your work right after you take your shots.

In my opinion, the best photography courses will emphasize this importance of skills over gear. So, hopefully you can get started with your learning process fairly quickly. Cheers!

I love seeing a potential Canonista in the making. :) Hi Kuucinja! Just thought I'd drop in a thought or two...

First, take courage. Photography is more about you than it is about the camera. Yes, there are advantages to expensive camera models; but the skills you bring to the table can potentially make even cheaper cameras perform very well. Honestly, if you have a smartphone with a fairly decent camera on board and an equally decent camera app, you can get started right away with concepts like exposure and composition (two essential skills to possess). Plus you'll have the instant gratification of seeing your work right after you take your shots.

In my opinion, the best photography courses will emphasize this importance of skills over gear. So, hopefully you can get started with your learning process fairly quickly. Cheers!
Thank you for your answer!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back