Hello! Looking for help.

[email protected]

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello. I am looking for some help. I am no photographer, but my wife is taking an interest in it. I wanted to buy her a gift for mother's day so, I bought her the Sigma 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 dg macro sld autofocus lens for her Nikon D40. I was originally going to get her the Nikon
70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF-S VR Autofocus Lens. The cheapest place that I found it on the internet was at a place called Stop and Shop Digital. However, when I called to place my order with them, the guy there talked me out of it by saying that it wouldn't work right with the Nikon D40. Then he told me what I needed was the Sigma lens I mentioned before. He made it sound like it was the latest and greatest lens for the Nikon D40 within the 70-300mm parameter. They sell it for about $349. Did I get taken, or is that about right? Is it a good lens and most importantly, is my wife gonna be happy with her Mother's Day present, or should I call back and cancel right away? I will appreciate any and all input. Thanks

Thanks for those reviews. Other than the fact that they are poor business people, was he B.S.ing me about all the other stuff, or does it sound accurate? Would the other lens have worked just fine? Is this lens that I purchased a good lens?

I don't know for sure, but some Nikon users should hopefully step in here.

The D40 doesn't have a built-in focus motor, like most other Nikon SLR cameras do. So it won't AF with lenses that don't have their own motor. I don't know if that Nikon 70-300 has a motor or not...but I'm sure the Sigma does. So the Sigma should be a good lens for your wife.

I don't know if this the the same version of the Sigma lens that you ordered...but it's a lot cheaper than $349
Sigma | 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Autofocus Lens | 5A9306 | B&H

Best case scenario, the salesman doesn't know what he's talking about. Worst case, he lied. The D40 and the D40X require an AF-I or AF-S lens. The Sigma lens I'm not familiar with the Sigma lens but I know the Nikon would work. If it won't autofocus, return it and get the one you asked for originally (maybe somewhere else.) If they refuse to take it back, I would talk to a supervisor. If he were to give me an attitude, I'd probably pepper my language with terms such as "Attorney General/Consumer Protection" and "Bait-and-Switch." It's possible that the sales people make more money selling Sigma. Good luck.

Most reactions

Back