Hello! New and immature would-like-to-be-photographer from Toronto

whatsexposure

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, My name is Joseph.
I joined this forum hoping to learn the trades of photography!
I'm planning on starting with a 35mm film SLR and hopefully hone my skills.
I hope to learn a lot from all of you!
Thank you!

Welcome aboard Joseph.

I've been at this long enough that I learned the basics on a 35mm film SLR. Trust me, it's a lot harder/slower when shooting on film because of the delay between when you take the photo and when you see it. And if you don't take good notes, you may not remember what change of settings gave you the results you see in the prints.
On one hand, that can force you to really buckle down and learn this stuff...especially because the more you shoot, the more is costs you.

But now that I'm teaching photography to people, I see how much easier/faster it is with a digital SLR. Having instant feedback and being able to see a histogram, really speeds up the learning curve.

If money is the issue, I'd suggest looking for a cheap used DSLR. You could probably find a nice little Canon or Nikon DSLR for $200-$300.

Hi Mike,

After reading your post maybe I should go for DSLR instead. I've been told by photographers I know that film cameras are best to learn about photography, but I never actually thought about developing and getting the final pictures haha.

I guess I'll have to start researching about what DSLR to buy now.

Thanks!

I think that a lot of photographers might say that it's best to learn on film, because that's what they did. It can force you to be more careful, and thus more thoughtful but like I said, the learning curve is painfully slow compared to digital.
And besides, if someone is buying a film SLR because they can't afford a digital, they aren't likely to shoot and develop roll after roll of film. The digital will very likely be cheaper in the long run.

Pretty much any DSLR will be a good tool for helping you to learn the basics. I'd suggest sticking with either a Canon or a Nikon though. They have the biggest selection of cameras, lenses and accessories...so when you upgrade or expand your equipment, you will have more options.

That makes sense, I actually looked for a place where I can develop films and the closest one to me was like 40 min drive.
DSLR it is!

Do I need a variety of lenses? I heard lenses are what really cost the big bucks. I've looked up some of the lenses and there were so many types I couldn't decide what to get haha. I guess the first lens would have to be able to zoom?

Welcome aboard.

I would stick with a basic (kit) zoom lens until you decide what you really like to photograph, then plan additional lens purchases accordingly. If buying new, a basic kit will be enough to get you started. The big two (Nikon and Canon) both make excellent cameras and lenses; you really can't go wrong with either one. Features will be pretty much the same for cameras at the same price point, so once you have your budget figured out, go to a shop and handle the one's you are interested in. The one that feels better in your hands is probably the one to go with. Used equipment is a way to get get a better body & lens for the money, but I'd purchase from a reliable place. I bought a film body from Henry's that I was happy with.

Whatever you get, take time to read the manual and learn what the controls do.

Thanks!
I think I'm going to get a macro (the one that takes real close shots?) lens too, I like taking close ups to show the texture or pattern or whatever.
But yes people are advising me to go with either Canon or Nikon. Off the futureshop I go!

I agree, it's probably best to start with a basic 'kit' lens, as that will cover the most common situations. Some of then even allow you to get pretty close, but not true 'macro' close.

Another 'old school' thing that you might hear, is that it's best to learn with a prime (non-zoom) lens. (probably the same folks who said to learn on a film camera). The benefit of learning with a prime lens, is that it forces you to 'zoom with your feet', rather than with the lens....which should force you to thing more about your composition, rather than just standing in one place and snapping away.

Also, a prime lens will often have a larger maximum aperture, which is the problem with all the 'kit' lenses...they have a small maximum aperture.

And before you run off to Futureshop, look around for an actual camera store. Hennry's, Vistek etc. They will likely have much more knowledgeable staff to help you with your purchase...and here's the trick, they will usually price match anything you see at Futureshop or Best Buy. So find the lowest price, but then purchase it at an actual camera shop.

And lastly, I teach (here in Edmonton) for a photography school that has recently started offering classes in Toronto. Once you get your camera, I'd recommend the DSLR class. Using Your DSLR Camera | Hands On DSLR Photography Class in Edmonton | The CPLC | The Canadian Photography Learning Centre

Most reactions

Back