Hello... PhotoForum!

TravelBugAntiques

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My name is Amy and I'm excited to get acclimated to this site! I'm very much into photography, however was never really formally trained in the skill. (A few years ago, I paid a local professional for a few sessions but he wanted to take "fancy" photos of me... so I stopped seeing him. lol)
I self teach myself and I preserver. My favorite lens is my macro.

I am working on a photo project now and have been for the past several months. I inherited a collection of amazing Antique photographs from all around the world. They belonged to my father and while he was going through his cancer treatments we went through the 300+ photos together, recording information in a notebook. Sadly, he passed away (cancer sux!). Now, 5 years later I pulled them out again and started a personal website to display his collection. www.travelbugantiques.com
(I certainly wish he could see it.... he would have gotten a "kick" out of it)

Many of the photographs date back to the late 1800's and early 1900's. Some of the photographs were taken and marked by well known photographers from that period. I created a little "studio" in my home and took photographs of each photo. It took me months to complete it... plus resizing them all in Photoshop, plugging all information in an excel spreadsheet and uploading to the site. Big project but it means a lot to me.

I would love to travel the world and take a new set of photos... to create a "then and now" segment... lack of funds though.. haha. Therefore, I'm trying to connect with people from around the world who are already living near some of the locations or maybe planning a vacation to a featured location in the collection. Weird though I find it hard to connectÂ… any suggestions???

Well, that was a lot to read... Enjoy the day everyone!!!!!!!! Amy

Welcome aboard.

I hate to put a downer on such a fun project...but do you realize that you may be violating copyright by copying and posting up photos that were not taken by yourself?

I grabbed this snipped from Yahoo Answers (probably a copyright violation of my own).
According to the library of congress

"the term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first. For works first published prior to 1978, the term will vary depending on several factors. To determine the length of copyright protection for a particular work, consult chapter 3 of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the United States Code). More information on the term of copyright can be found in Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright, and Circular 1, Copyright Basics. "

in your case it was before 1978...

find out who the photographer was, see if they still have the film...if they no longer exist, and/or they do not have it...you would be in violation of copyright, but no one would be around to enforce it.

If your making a scrapbook or something to remember your mom by, then i wouldnt worry about it...your not making mass copies or selling them.

It would be a heartless ba$t*% that would come after you for doing such a thing.

again, its illegal for you to copy it without permission, but in your case, for personal use, it wouldn't be worth the money to go after you.
Source(s):
http://www.copyrightguidebook.com

U.S. Copyright Office

Hey Amy. Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry to hear about your father.

Welcome to the party, Amy!! Yes, cancer is just horrible. I lost my mother a few years back. I enjoyed your site. There were some very moving photos there. How did your father get these photos? Are they originals or reprints?

Super awesome copyright info Big Mike! Thanks! I was/am concerned with a handful of photos, however they are over 100 years old and my intent is to display not sell. If someone were to contact me saying I was in violation... I would remove them immediately and just leave a description. :)

Thanks Zac, we certainly all lose important people in our lives :(

Thanks Mishele... and I'm so sorry about your mom. Thank you for the kind comments about the site :)
When my father was a young boy his neighbor gave the photos to him. (3 big boxes, and they are HEAVY) I'm not sure how the neighbors got them.
***Funny note: My dad told me that they burned all of the "nudies" from the collection. Ha-ha jeez

And honestly I'm not sure if they are originals or reprints. I've researched on the web many times and I cannot find this exact same style of photos and mounts.

Most reactions

Back