Hello to all, and a question too.

H9C2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am Hendrik from Durham, NC. I am hoping to pick your brains from now on, trying to get a good grasp on this photography thing :)

I have always been interested in nature photography, something that I'll be pursuing a little more serious now than I have in the past.

I have treated myself to a panasonic fz50, mostly because of the big zoom, and the image stabilization. I have now noticed that I'd like a slightly wider view than the stock camera is offering, and I am wondering about getting a wide converter. (I also wouldn't mind seeing what a teleconverter would give me)

My dilemma is this; I am really not ready to throw a lot of money towards these converters, and would rather try something cheap.

I can get a wide and a tele for less than $100 of EBAY, and while I am really not expecting a whole lot, I am still wondering if even for playing around with, these paticular cheap lenses are still a waste of money.

Does anyone have any experience with these cheap converters?

Thanks!

HDJ

Not on a digital camera but I have used them on film cameras off and on for years.... the quality of the image suffers but not so much that I ever noticed it much after it was printed. Mostly the focal distance changes but with a view through the lens it isnt a problem

In past years I too have used wide and tele converters, but, I cant in good conscience advise you waste any amount of money unless you're talking about no more than $15.00 including the S&H charge!

Ouch! That bad huh? I don't think I get get them for $15 shipped, so maybe I'll just wait a little while. I've got plenty of things to practice with anyway.

I've never worked with a zoom cam... how wide do they go? Hopefully it's not a case where they can zoom out really far but can't get any wide angles but it sounds as if that's what you're running into.

I am really unfamiliar with the terminology, but at the wide end of the lens I get about 1 meter of coverage per 1 meter distance. I guess this is a trade-off for the big zoom.

i use a third party wide angle converter, and i haven't had any problems with it. I can't tell a difference in quality on either my slr or dslr.

Most reactions

Back