Hello to My Photo Class

twocolor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.twocolorphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm teaching the last session of my intermediate photography class tonight. This is the night we go on the computer. I'm doing a small session about what to do with your pics once they're taken.

So everyone, here's your chance to shine. Say hello to my class, talk to them about why you do photography. Maybe post them a photo to critique.

We'll log on during class tonight and reply to any responses we can in the time alotment we have.

This is my intermediate class, so that's why I came here - for a more "intermediate" style forum.

Thanks in advance
Two Color!

I'd enjoy participating as will others... I just wish you gave more heads up. Your participation may be limited to to the fact that this is an international forum.

Why I do this... one reason only... pleasure. I get a kick out of learning and preserving a moment in time. I plan to turn professional WHEN I am ready, and I am in NO rush to do so.

A pic for you to critique... uhm... something I recently posted in a thread about low noise and high ISO:

2966190055_ea174f6909.jpg

50mm, F/3.5, ISO 1600, hand held from perhaps 4 feet away.

Camera Nikon D200, lens was a 18-50 Sigma DC EX HSM Macro F/2.8

EXIF data HERE.
Little bigger version of this pic HERE.

Oh... hi class! Eat your veggies... oh wait... do your home work and don't do drugs... and take at least a dozen shots a day each one focused on a very specific goal!

Last edited:
Bon jour photo class!

The reason I do photography is that it provides me with a hobby that I actually enjoy. It relaxes me and seeing an awesome shot after the download or on the back of the camera is just a great feeling. I'm not sure if I would ever pursue it after high school. I'm on one of the top 10 yearbook staffs in the nation and it's become kind of tiring and demanding and I've lost the desire to shoot my own stuff as of late, to be honest. Hopefully it'll pick back up soon though.

Since most of my stuff has to be kept under wraps until publication, here's a shot from this summer to critique.
n1023540446_30410419_2533.jpg

f4.5
1/3200 sec
30mm
ISO500
Tone adjustment, noise added in editing

I'd enjoy participating as will others... I just wish you gave more heads up. Your participation may be limited to to the fact that this is an international forum.

Why I do this... one reason only... pleasure. I get a kick out of learning and preserving a moment in time. I plan to turn professional WHEN I am ready, and I am in NO rush to do so.

A pic for you to critique... uhm... something I recently posted in a thread about low noise and high ISO:

2966190055_ea174f6909.jpg

50mm, F/3.5, ISO 1600, hand held from perhaps 4 feet away.

Camera Nikon D200, lens was a 18-50 Sigma DC EX HSM Macro F/2.8

EXIF data HERE.
Little bigger version of this pic HERE.

Oh... hi class! Eat your veggies... oh wait... do your home work and don't do drugs... and take at least a dozen shots a day each one focused on a very specific goal!

Hey JerryPH! K, we want to know why you chose to shoot this with such a high ISO. What were the conditions when you were shooting? Was there a lot of motion, like a dance or something?

Depth of Field is awesome on this, we really like how crisp the subject is versus the background.

We want to know if this is a wedding or a coming of age party?

exposure looks good.

maybe a little color cast? not quite sure . . .

did you use a flash on this?

the low noise is excellent for that high of an ISO

great job, thanks for responding to us!!

Bon jour photo class!

The reason I do photography is that it provides me with a hobby that I actually enjoy. It relaxes me and seeing an awesome shot after the download or on the back of the camera is just a great feeling. I'm not sure if I would ever pursue it after high school. I'm on one of the top 10 yearbook staffs in the nation and it's become kind of tiring and demanding and I've lost the desire to shoot my own stuff as of late, to be honest. Hopefully it'll pick back up soon though.

Since most of my stuff has to be kept under wraps until publication, here's a shot from this summer to critique.
n1023540446_30410419_2533.jpg

f4.5
1/3200 sec
30mm
ISO500
Tone adjustment, noise added in editing

We really like this one! Love the diagonal angles. Harsh shadows create a really nice mood. Love the coloring on this.

Keep up the good work! Don't waste that talent. Maybe take a break every once in a while, but don't ever quit!

1 - we want to know why you chose to shoot this with such a high ISO. What were the conditions when you were shooting? Was there a lot of motion, like a dance or something?

2 - Depth of Field is awesome on this, we really like how crisp the subject is versus the background.

3 - We want to know if this is a wedding or a coming of age party?

4 - exposure looks good.

5 - maybe a little color cast? not quite sure . . .

6 - did you use a flash on this?

7 - the low noise is excellent for that high of an ISO

8 - great job, thanks for responding to us!!

1 - This was a professional dancer from Germany that was performing during an Octoberfest festival in Kitchener-Waterloo Ontario Canada. The lighting conditions were very poor (house lights at perhaps 25-30% of capacity). On top of that, she was on the sidelines out of the main light. The main lights were of a different colorcast than under where she was sitting. You see the main dance floor in front of her, hence why the blurred areas look more orange than where she was sitting.

2 - Bokeh or background blur. :) Have your teacher explain to you how this works and why it is not just about large apertures, but about focal lengths and distance ratios between camera to subject vs camera to background. (we have to make the man earn his living a little, right? lol!)

3 - Dance competition in one of the worst lit dance halls I have ever seen... lol

4 - It is acceptable. In truth it is about a 1/4 stop underexposed, but I did not feel the need to fix it in post process, though I could have.

5 - Her hair and skin tones were VERY close to this picture in real life. The lighting on the dance floor in front of her was very different, though. Behind her, I feel that my camera (in auto white balance) did a great job of being accurate.

6 - No flash. That is why I used ISO 1600, so that I would not need to. Had I been using flash (and I did on many other pictures in this set), ISO would have been 100 and since the ceiling was low and (for the most part), white, I would have been bouncing it off the ceiling.

7 - Getting the exposure correct is a big part of it. The most important aspect is having a good noise reduction software... since I currently do not own a camera that is amazing at high ISO and low light (thats changing soon too ;) ).

8 - You're welcome! Enjoy the class!

Arrrrgggghhhhh! Tardy again. I hope I don't get detention. :mrgreen:

darn I wish I had noticed this last night!
if you ever get the chance to run this again definatly more warning time :) (course more warning time will mean a bigger influx of shots from people).
A great idea though! :)

Jerry, don't forget to mention that you used a noise reduction software in that shot, which is why you seen no noise even at such a high ISO. Very important!

Yes, I used noise removal software... but it was set to a setting of 2 out of 10... VERY low, so low in fact that you saw noise nowhere except the bokeh and unless you pixel peeped. I am willing to show the shot SOOC to support that (well converted to JPG from RAW, thats it).

hey all! (yes even the tardy ones!! :lol:) Thanks for posting for my class. The idea hit me as I was putting some last things together, that's why it was so last minute. I wish I could stress to people the importance of getting your work critiqued, taking it like a man - woman:lol:, and using the critique as a tool to improve their next shot. My first hour of the first class - remind you this is an intermediate class - covered critique. How to critique your own work, how to look at someone else's work and know what's working, and why . . .

I showed them journal entries from my own photo journal, where I had made notes to myself about why this pose worked and this lighting didn't etc.

I continually get assignments back where #1 things are just plain OOF, and #2 they're extremely dark, or extremely light. Things that I would not present to a teacher as an assignment . . .

sorry soapbox!

but thanks for putting your work out there for me - them, and being willing to pop in and say hi!! I teach this every quarter, so I'll make sure and give a little more heads up next time!

Most reactions

Back