Hello!

NicoAVZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello! My name is Nick, and I am total photography newbie!

I have always been fascinated with photography tho I never had the chance to get into it...until now! I was in a circuit city store a week ago and I said what the heck, and I got myself a new Rebel xti with the lens kit.

I had tickets to the Dodger game at the Los Angeles coliseum, and I took several pictures, and after looking at them, they all looked like your regular point and shoot camera pictures.

Here is the only one I really liked. Its the peanut guy!
http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?image=peanutswn0.jpg

It's not that great but, it was my first day shooting :p

Any tips on how to shoot sporting events? I'm going to a football practice and a baseball game this weekend.

Also, what should i upgrade my lens too? Nothing too expensive

Thanks for your time!

interesting photo..
as far as learning your camera, i would look at a magic lantern guide to the XTI after sitting down a reading the manual (yeah yeah i know lol who does that now-a-days? trust me, it will help)

After you get a good idea of your camera, it is time to get a grasp on the basics of photography... For this, i would look into Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson (whats with all this reading?) It is definitely a great book to get you started on aperture, shutter-speed, ISO and how they all relate and all that mess.

Also, read around this forum a bit. It is full of great information and feel free to ask questions (please search first though :) ).

One more thing, search for a user Mav... he has a great signature with some links to useful threads, and other tutorials on the internet.

Shooting sports will take an expensive piece of glass unless of course it is very bright.. Don't believe the girl in the XTI commercial who takes her kit lens and zooms in all the way for this perfect photo and gets a perfectly sharp and vibrant photo at f/5.6 of a guy being tackled ... Doesn't work that way :)

Shooting sports usually require a fairly expensive long lens, unless you can get in real close to the action.

As well as the reading, don't forget to experiment a little. Try out the different modes, especially Av and Tv, and see what effect altering these has on your photos

Most reactions

Back