Hello!

Wildlife girl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I decided it was time I introduced myself, as I have been blabbering about in the Digital and Wildlife forums. :blushing:

My name is Tracy and I'm from Chicago. I am an inexperienced photographer. I just bought my first digital camera yesterday and should have it on Monday. It's not a DSLR, I just don't have enough moola for that right now. I bought the Panasonic Lumix FZ28.

I wanted a long zoom lens and wide angle for taking photos in Alaska in June. And, I wanted as much versatility as I could afford.

My photography experience has been very sporadic! I started learning about photography and developing my own b&h photos in a darkroom in a Graphic Arts class many, many moons ago in High School. Then photography kind of dropped out of my life for the most part, except for some rock music photography in college.

I bought a Canon Rebel and a 75-300mm zoom lens in 1997 and took lessons at the local photography store in preparation for a trip to Africa. I didn't have that many lessons, but I learned enough to get some photos I am proud of, but I'm sure there was a lot of luck involved as well! Still my parents and grandmother have some framed poster size prints of various animals I shot, so that makes me very happy.

Anyway, photography slowly dropped out of my life again and I am just now joining the digital age. It's not that I don't take photography seriously, it's more that I have had a lot of hard knocks through the years that put photography on the back burner. Also, I have another passion that comes first for me which consumes the most time and money, and that is music.

I am especially interested in wildlife photography and am absolutely in AWE of the people on this forum!! The abilities I have seen are truly mind blowing. I am here to learn as much as I possibly can.

And, now that you know more than you ever wanted to know about me, I will end this post! ;)

Thank you for listening!

Tracy

Hi Tracy, welcome aboard.

Hi Mitica and Doug! Thanks for the welcome. :D

Welcome wildlife girl :D although I am a newbie I have owned the Panasonic Lumix for over a year, I'm sure you'll be happy with it, very nice camera :) have fun here.

Hi,

I also recently bought the FZ28 and I have a question about it that you might be able to answer. Have you looked at the menus for setting up the "Custom" mode e.g. "C1"? Most of the settings I save in C1 mode do not remain set when I turn off the camera. This seems ridiculous. What good in a Custom mode if you can't set it to the settings you want? I must be doing something wrong. Just curious if you had the same experience.

Also, you mentioned you were going to Alaska. My wife and I recently did a two-month driving trip up the Alaska highway and through much of Alaska.

Reagrds,
[email protected]

Thanks for the welcomes everyone! :D

Kerry, I just got my camera this afternoon! I ordered it from B&H and it was delivered early, actually. So, as this is my first digital camera, it will take me a bit to become accustomed to it. But, I will check out your question as soon as I can and get back to you.

Did you enjoy your trip to Alaska? I am excited and hope I have some good photo opportunities. I'm going in mid June.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. If you wish you may correspond with me by email at [email protected]. We had a fabulous time in Alaska. The highlights of the trip were the Kenai Fjord all-day boat tour run by "Major Marine" out of Seward; a short flight to Kennicott and McCarthy S. of Glenallen to the old mine and copper mill including some great glacier views from the plane; Creamer's Field in Fairbanks (lots of Sand Hill Cranes); Sitka, including lots of Puffins and other marine birds; and Petersburg, especially Blind River Rapids where many people were fishing for Salmon and there were eagles hanging around.

Generally, the inside passage (which we visited via the ferry system) had the best eagle viewing along with some bears.

You will have no trouble getting good shots of Stellar sealions, harbour seals, bears, moose, sea otters, puffins, and eagles.

Our trip was April 25 through June 6. You will have better weather than we did. A great Alaska guidebook is the "Moon Handbook", check Amazon.

Keep in touch,
Kerry

Most reactions

Back