Hello!

EvansMomma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lifeinfocus-photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've always had a passion for taking pictures, though never took photography in high school because at the time my love of music was much greater than my love of photography.

This changed when I had my son on Christmas Eve 2006. I have since flooded my memory cards with pictures of him and my family.

Anywho, I am unemployed, married to a great guy that supports me without too much griping :lol:. But I hate being broke and living with my parents :( I would love to get into photography as a profession! What would y'all recommend for some baby steps, to a newbie??

TIA!!

Hi EvansMomma, welcome to ThePhotoForum.
Sorry, all I can do is welcome you here, for I cannot really give you any advice on how to start since you are in the States (I assume) and I am in Germany and things are vastly different between here and there, I feel.

But soon enough (when "all America wakes up again" - they are now fast asleep or going to sleep at last when they are in California) others will come on line again and may well be able to give you the answers to your questions.

You might in the meantime feel like sharing some of the photos you have taken between December 2006 and now? In People and Pets, for example, given they are pics of Evan?

1. Take a lot of photos.
2. Read everything you can.
3. Take a lot more photos.
4. Study, study, study,
5. Take more photos.
6. Realise everything you already read is now out of date and you have to read more...
7. Take more photos.

Welcome to the forum, it will really teach you a lot!

At anytime you can frame up work, show it locally, and attempt to sell it. If you are interested in having people hire you to photograph them I'll add to Meysha's list...

1. Take a lot of photos.
2. Read everything you can.
3. Take a lot more photos.
4. Study, study, study,
5. Take more photos.
6. Realise everything you already read is now out of date and you have to read more...
7. Take more photos.

8. Spend a lot of time looking at photographs and art. The web is okay, but it's hard to beat visiting art museums, art galleries, and other places that have art and photography exhibits/shows.
9. Meet local photogs and artists, and talk to them regularly.
10. Learn the fundamental skills of digital processing.
11. Keep taking photos and studying photography until the technical side is instinctive, and operating your camera/gear is second nature.
12. Study business or take small business classes.
13. Apprentice/assist with a local pro if possible.

Those last two posts are great... we should compile a master list.

Emulation is a viable form of learning. Look for shots you like, and try and understand how they came about. You can always come into these forums and ask how certain shots were created.

Where in the world are you? Chances are there's a Community College near by that offers Intro to Photography classes. Also enroll in an Intro to Photo Editing class, or more specifically Intro to Photoshop.

Advertise with cards or flyers at the local super-market, WalMart, playgrounds, or wherever else moms hang out.

Practice, practice, practice. Shoot your son, shot your friend's kids, keep at it. It's digital, you can always delete later. Build a reliable set of parlor tricks - several poses or shots that you know you can get kids of various ages to do, and shoot those to have a reliable deliverable at the end.

Come back here regularly for more advice.

Good luck, knock 'em dead.

Thanks. Soo basically, read alot and take alot of pictures :lol: I can manage that!!

I am in Colorado (BORING!!) I have been looking into the community college in the area. I should probably get some info there though, huh ;)

I have been studying photoshop for quite some time, though I'm not too great on touch ups. I mostly make signatures for the mommy board I visit frequently.

Here are some of the recent photos I have-nothing fancy: (hard to pick out just a few...)
IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg
IMG_2741.jpg

Those were all taken on a Canon PowerShot A550 (birthday present from the hubby) using the "kids & pets" mode. I haven't even delved into messing with the settings yet, because it's still all German to me:lol:

Here's some of the work I have done in Photoshop, just 'cause I like to brag :mrgreen:

melissasiggie.png

whitneysig.png

christophershannon.png

riemodel.png

Hey you are off to a great start. One thing that I would suggest you pay close attention to is your composition. You have a great "model" so make sure there is nothing distracting in the photo that could take away from what you are trying to capture. You could also try cropping some of the pictures that you posted that would focus on him (I assume that is your main subject). I am a beginner too so I am still learning the ropes. It is so much fun and a very rewarding hobby. Good luck!

i live in thornton but pretty much all over the place. You? Downtown Denver on the weekends is a pretty interesting site with a camera!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back