Help a broke girl out?

My apologies =/ I was just trying to get a scholarship. Sorry about that. Now that it has been deleted from the other places, do you have any critique for the picture? I was planning on entering it in other scholarship contests... is it "scholarship worthy"?

The flash backlighting the model's head is overdone and heavy-handed,and looks very 1980's-like. With the increasing number of young people doing "Strobist" type work, your photo's overall level of quality and its impact are both surely diminished from what they would have been six to eight years ago.
The overall "look" is a bit below modern standards for this type of photo.

Thanks for the critique! I'm hoping to learn a lot more as I move on to art school in the fall. This was, of course, me just playing around with lighting. I'm definitely not up to par with any professional or anything, but hopefully will move towards it :)

i voted for yours... it's a nice shot :)
Seriously. Did you look at any others, or is this simply a sympathy vote?

I guess I just remember what it was like trying to get scholarships. It's hard to pay for college these days. Any little bit helps... and I don't recall being the only one who voted for her, on this forum or otherwise...

Anna.. welcome, hopefully you do stick around. You will be able to learn a TON of information here! I've only been around for a week or 2 and have really increased what I know.. I'm still a noob with TONS of work ahead of me!

i voted for yours... it's a nice shot :)
Seriously. Did you look at any others, or is this simply a sympathy vote?

I guess I just remember what it was like trying to get scholarships. It's hard to pay for college these days. Any little bit helps... and I don't recall being the only one who voted for her, on this forum or otherwise...

Wow... what a novel and irrelevant insight. College is expensive. Who wouldn't like a little help? I'm sure it means just as much to any of the other contestants.

Anna, your post was interpreted as spam by many of us and we responded accordingly. If you care to become a part of the community, and hopefully learn a few things, stick around and contribute.

Good luck.

How is it spam...? I'm asking for critique on the photo and a vote if you happen to like it.

Anna, I see that you ALSO posted it to dPreview today.

Scholarship for Art School - is this piece worthy?: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Derrel, a girls got to work it, ya know?

Don't be so naive guys, maybe she just REALLY wants to be part of a forum, and get some real critique. :confused:

Not naive but more like jaded as we have seen these posts from someone who has just joined today.
I have to agree that the back lighting really kills the photo and, Im not much for the peacock feather but, that may be just me or, the shot may look better if the backlight wasnt there.

Most reactions

Back