HELP A NOOB TODAY! Low Budget/ Big Plans

SuperNoob90

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello there Photo Forum community,

As my title suggests and my name as well, I am a big big noob...
I have a really small budget as I am saving up to move to Iceland and then Cambodia. Long story!

As you can imagine, I have to take pictures at these places... I mean they are renowned for their natural beauty.
In Iceland, I need a camera to take pictures at night in case of experiencing the Nothern lights (I will be there from January to May - 2018) and also good for foggy/ dark days as it will be in winter.
On the other hand, I am looking for a camera to capture those beautiful sunsets of Cambodia with the temples, etc... So basically something versatile while not breaking my bank (as I need to pay for accommodation, transport, etc...)

My budget can only go up as much as 350 Euros.... I have looked at these two... any more suggestions or opinions:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Nikon Coolpix B500

Please help me!

I'd look at a Nikon d3300 with kit lens. It will do everything far superior to what you are looking at. Maybe 350 be pushing it.

I'm not sure where you are but many people get presents of cameras or think they will take up photography and do not. 350 may get you a very little used second hand d3300 or similar with twin lens kit, normally an 18-55 for that is wide enough to fit lots in and long enough for people shots etc. Often these have a 55-200 or 55-300 for the stuff farther away

I'd look at a Nikon d3300 with kit lens. It will do everything far superior to what you are looking at. Maybe 350 be pushing it.

I'm not sure where you are but many people get presents of cameras or think they will take up photography and do not. 350 may get you a very little used second hand d3300 or similar with twin lens kit, normally an 18-55 for that is wide enough to fit lots in and long enough for people shots etc. Often these have a 55-200 or 55-300 for the stuff farther away

Thanks for the reply!
I have looked at it but it is too expensive. I am in Portugal now... and no one is going to give it to me as a present :D
Any other suggestions?

I don't mean give you a present, but there are similar models for your budget on eBay.

I'd suggest a Nikon d5100 or d5200 or d5300 or indeed a d7000 or maybe a d 3200 or d3300. Any of these with a kit lens may be possible inside your budget if you get a good condition second hand unit

I agree on the D3300 used and 18-55 kit lens used. Not sure if they include VAT on used items there. In the US you would be able to pick one up for your budget. So, that's what many of us are going off of. Portugal / Europe yea probably a little higher especially from shops.

I used to carry a bridge camera while traveling for work. Really kept running into its limitations quite often. So, now I carry a D3300 and 2 kit lenses and a flash. I have more capable cameras but the D3300 is a good light / small travel DSLR.

Both the P&S cameras you listed would be poor in low light conditions. But if they are your only choice. I say go with the Nikon B500. It has newer tech, screen with twice the resolution. Both are going to suffer from noise any ISO above 800 or so.

How about the Sony RX100? it looks very good on paper at this price point.
I have but is also more than my budget :(
Thanks for helping me tho!

Fair enough, I thought I'd found some under your price point. Amazon.de has them for €365 or there is here if you don't mind a grey import Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 em Fnac.pt.

Out of the two you mention the Panasonic is the better buy IMO, better lens and the coolpix does not look to have an Av, Tv or manual mode. The B700 would be better but not sure on prices. The panasonic looks like all the controls are electronic so may not be ideal if your trying to use it in manual mode.

Hello there Photo Forum community,

As my title suggests and my name as well, I am a big big noob...
I have a really small budget as I am saving up to move to Iceland and then Cambodia. Long story!

As you can imagine, I have to take pictures at these places... I mean they are renowned for their natural beauty.
In Iceland, I need a camera to take pictures at night in case of experiencing the Nothern lights (I will be there from January to May - 2018) and also good for foggy/ dark days as it will be in winter.
On the other hand, I am looking for a camera to capture those beautiful sunsets of Cambodia with the temples, etc... So basically something versatile while not breaking my bank (as I need to pay for accommodation, transport, etc...)
My budget can only go up as much as 350 Euros.... I have looked at these two... any more suggestions or opinions:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Nikon Coolpix B500

Please help me!

I'd pick the Panasonic Lumix from that short list but an entry level Canon and 18-55 kit lens will be better (and potentially cheaper)
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Most reactions

Back