help a noob!

stroker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In my last post i was told to plan what I was going to shoot. Im at that stage now where im planning, but im stuck. i know two places that I would like to take pictures of, I just dont know what is the best way to go about it.
Spot one: around 7:30am there is a dence fog that sets into the vally of a nearby cow pasture. on one side there is a grassy hill, at the bottom there is a dry creek bed with a dead trees sparsely placed on one side. Some days there are cattle in the field, other days there arnt. How should i shoot this? Do I want to include the cows behind the fog, Should I include the dead trees to give a sleepy or eerie feel? How would you do it
Spot two: A new road was built in the next town over, it doesnt get alot of traffic and is empty most of the time. When standing at the bottom of the hill, the road seems to dissapear into the sky. Kinda like the highway to heaven. How would you shoot it, day or night? sunset?

This is the wonderful thing about photography. What do YOU think is best? Part of learning photography is experimenting. If we were to keep telling you what is best, you'll quickly find yourself in a rut. Go out and experiment. Try one thing one night, another thing another night and so on. One of the options you've given yourself is to go out at different times of day. Why not try all of them on the same day? See what gives you the best result. Try different compositions, different exposure combinations (aperture, shutter, ISO), shoot both horizontal and portrait. This is how we learn.

It would be easy for me to say go shoot this scene, at this time, holding the camera horizontal, using X aperture, Y shutter and Z ISO. But that takes the fun out of learning. Try everything. Take notes (like we used to do in the film days, and I still do today). See what worked, what doesn't work, and learn from your mistakes. Post what you got here, and we'll help you learn.

I know I didn't answer your question, but I think this is a very helpful suggestion. Just try things! Once you've learned some things, and have figured things out, you'll be able to decide these types of things automatically. Go out, shoot, and have fun!

EDIT: Just thought of something else. One thing I do is scout out locations. Sometimes I'll take test shots, to get an idea of what's there. I'll bring these home with me, and start thinking about when the best time to shoot this would be. Pay attention to where the sun would be at different times of the day. Will the moon be out if you're trying at night? Will that help or hinder your shot? This is another time when notes are awesome to take. Write down as much information about the location as possible. Review the test shots and your notes, and make decisions after reading those. If you're still not sure, just go out and try things. Even doing this and failing is fun, and you'll learn stuff each and every time.

Here is me trying things. its not the landscape but, its the match project over in another section. im not really happy with the way they turned out. maybe you guys could tell me where i went wrong
thehand.jpg
[/IMG]

ember.jpg
[/IMG]

Images aren't showing up...

I put in the IMG code?

In my last post i was told to plan what I was going to shoot. Im at that stage now where im planning, but im stuck. i know two places that I would like to take pictures of, I just dont know what is the best way to go about it.
Spot one: around 7:30am there is a dence fog that sets into the vally of a nearby cow pasture. on one side there is a grassy hill, at the bottom there is a dry creek bed with a dead trees sparsely placed on one side. Some days there are cattle in the field, other days there arnt. How should i shoot this? Do I want to include the cows behind the fog, Should I include the dead trees to give a sleepy or eerie feel? How would you do it
Spot two: A new road was built in the next town over, it doesnt get alot of traffic and is empty most of the time. When standing at the bottom of the hill, the road seems to dissapear into the sky. Kinda like the highway to heaven. How would you shoot it, day or night? sunset?
Seriously?

Your choices for your photographs. Otherwise they're not yours.

What did you do that i didnt? and C&C on those would be nice, like how to remove that glow..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back