HELP!! - Action Shots

Are you going to be using a flash??

If so that changes things a bit. If you exceed the shutter speed of the flash sync you will get into a whole new can of worms. What will happen is you will end up with photos that are half dark and half exposed.

If you are not real familar with using a flash in sports photography and this is an event that you really want to capture, I would hold off on using a flash until I got more used to using one.

A flash can stop action but it can also cause tracers. Practice with the flash unti you are used to it at the said shutter speed (160). When you get used to it, it is a lot of fun to use them for effect

Hope this helped

Michael

If this is an inside event and you have to use a flash, DO NOT exceed the flash sync speed (160). You will stop a lot of the action but may end up with a little halo or what not around it.

Michael

Thank for the help, I dont think ill be using the flash as i dont like how it turned out (purly cause im a total noob when it comes to using the flash)
Ill be able to have a good play around with it tommorow though and ill post some pictures and tell me what u think/ What i can improve on etc :)

If you can go to the sight of the shoot and try to take some test shots to find out what ios, shutter speed and apacture opening you need. If this is not a shoot that you are getting paid for just go and have fun.

The funny thing about having fun on a shoot is you will probably get some of your best shots out of it.

Hope this helps

Michael

Haha no not getting paid for this at all, im actually riding in it!!:lol: Ill be taking photos between classes, and for people who approach me (People tend to do that if they see you have a flash camera!!) but ill be photography my friends for practice :D
Eventually i'd love to get paid for it :D One day maybe!

It has been a long time since I have done a paid job. But trust me the feeling is always the same.

I am shooting a job on monday pro bono for a local homeless shelter that is giving out about 5000 turkey dinners for our thanksgiving. It is still a rush. I am going to have to switch to digital because I can not wait until I get the contact sheet back from the lab.

Keep shooting and remember it is fun to shoot and you will go far.
'
Mcihael

Thats super cool about the job on Monday, i hope that goes well for you :D

Yeah i love photography, idealy i'd love to make a career out of it, but its so popular it seems like its going to be hard to get known and do well. Maybe i could have t as somthing to fall back on perhaps. Or i could just keep shooting for fun, i like that idea too!! LOL

by the way don't use flash if you are shooting horses, the flash will scare the horses and might ruin your photo

For a show jumping, the horses move fast, I'd be aiming for shutter speeds of around 1/1000th of a second to get good, crisp photos. If your outside in sunlight you shouldn't have to put your iso up too much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back