Help / Advice Required Please

Lockhart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have come up with an idea for my better halfs Christmas present. I know plese don shoot me we are only in sept but I am one of those wierdos that plan slightly ahead especially if I have a bit of money to pay out.

Any how. He did photography courses as a youngster and still ahs a passion for it. He has got a sony digital camera and he has sony cam corder etc. While yes they are great for people like me who want to go click and it all happens I know when you have a passion you want t bit more.

So I was thinking of a nice new camera for chrsitmas. the ones where you can change the lens. Develop the pictures yourself or cn you have the option now for having it as a digial as well?

I really dont have a clue and would love some input ont he best one to get him. All help and advice is required and I thank you all in advance.

Kind regards,
Me!!!!

I forgot one more question. Seeing as we live in an apartment I was wandering if there was a dark room you could put up and take down or do you have to have a proper room? Is there some sort of screen you can get??

:confused:

The cameras you are referring to (the ones on which you can change the lens) are probably SLR's (single lens reflex) and you can buy digital SLR's (dSLR). If you decide to go for a digital one, there is a wide range of cameras from Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Sony, Samsung and Olympus and their prices can vary greatly depending on the features of the camera and the lens you buy to go with it. Tell us what your budget is so that we can point you into the right direction.

Hi Steph,

Thanks a mil for responding to me so quick. See his birthday is close to christmas so I get him a really good present for both. So i dont mind spending any where from say €800-€1500.00

But please you are dealing with someone who hasn't a clue about prices etc so I am counting on you guys to lead me through all of this. :hail:

I forgot one more question. Seeing as we live in an apartment I was wandering if there was a dark room you could put up and take down or do you have to have a proper room? Is there some sort of screen you can get??

:confused:

You don't need a dedicated room to build a darkroom. Very often a bathroom will do. You just have to stop the light from entering the room (using blackout material) and set it up when required.

heh that's great. Our bathrooms are both enclosed completly so that would do nicely!! Cheers for that!!

Hi Steph,

Thanks a mil for responding to me so quick. See his birthday is close to christmas so I get him a really good present for both. So i dont mind spending any where from say €800-€1500.00

But please you are dealing with someone who hasn't a clue about prices etc so I am counting on you guys to lead me through all of this. :hail:

You need to decide if you want to buy a film or digital camera.

With a film camera you can develop and print your own pictures in a darkroom (fairly easy to do for black and white pictures BUT much more involved and expensive for colour pictures). Working in the darkroom gives you more control on your pictures than when you get them developped/printed by somebody else.

With a digital camera you can process (modify) the pictures on the computer (you'll need a fairly powerful computer and dedicated software) and then print the pictures yourself or have them printed by someone else. Obviously, you do not need a darkroom with a digital camera.

Most people will probably suggest to go with a digital SLR. This is probably the right choice if he is more interested in taking pictures rather than spending a lot of time in a darkroom.

Ok great. And sorry for being a nuisance now i presume then I can get the digital camera but that you can change the lens on the front of it?

What one would you recommend I get and what information do i need to take into the shop or can you recommend where I go??

Ok great. And sorry for being a nuisance now i presume then I can get the digital camera but that you can change the lens on the front of it?

What one would you recommend I get and what information do i need to take into the shop or can you recommend where I go??

Yes, you can change the lens on a digitl SLR. Maybe the best bet is to go for an entry level dSLR. They are usually sold with a zoom lens (called the kit lens), which is a good enough starter lens.

Examples of such cameras are:

Nikon D40 or D40x
Canon 350D or 400D
Pentax K100D or K110D
Olympus E410

However it is quite hard to chose a camera for somebody else. They are all capable of taking excellent pictures but the choice often comes down to personnal preferences (physical size of the camera, layout of buttons...).

Hi Lockhart, if you wouldn't mind my barging in... take him to an electronics store that has a good camera department to- buy a CD- and just happen to go into the camera department. Walk around and look at them all to see which he likes best and then move along.

I say electronics because he has a Point & Shoot and a camcorder. As they are both Sony he may like a Sony DSLR.
Also, darkroom equipment is cheap these days as most everyone is going digital, the supplies however (many poisonous), are becoming harder to get.

In the mean time, keep reading. :)

If you want to go digital, and I would recommend you find out which one your husband is truly interested in, then I would recommend the new Canon 40D. The kit which is $1499 comes with a 28-135 IS USM lens, this lens by itself would cost you over $400.00. Here is a link.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518570-REG/Canon_1901B017_EOS_40D_SLR_Digital.html

????? LOL Why go to the trouble to find out what he wants and then ignore him? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

(by Christmas the new D300 will be out and ... just keep reading ;))

For digital you don't need a powerful computer. I use just an ancient 700mhz to process my 10mp RAW pics very easily.

I would do as suggested, wander into an electronics store that sells higher-end cameras. Head to the camera area for some reason and see what grabs his attention. Go back if you have to and get a name brand or model # for further direction. I've done this to surprise my Wife and it works great.

Heh everyone. You have been great with all your advice and help. I think i like the idea of going into a shop and seeing which he ends up liking. By the sounds of it I cant go too wrong with the makes and models out there at the moment. Cheers everyone. If anyone has any further advice please do not hesitate to let me have it.:lmao:

As far as a darkroom all you need now with digital is a decent computer and the right software. Something liike Photoshop Elements or the like if you don't want to spend a ton or the full CS3 if you are rich or dedicated and you will have a darkroom right on your desktop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back