Help and Advice

ucddyan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello again everyone. I'm taking some people out this weekend for an engagement photo session, but I'm really nervous becuase it's my FIRST session with someone outside of family memembers. I'm taking them to a Japanese Friendship Garden for the photos, so there will be lots of trees and ponds, great places to pose. Any advice or how-to on what type of pictures to take for an engagement photo session would be most apprciated! I've never had to "pose" people before so I'm a little nervous about that as well. How do you get your subjects to feel at ease with you?

Since this is my first time out, I'm not charging these people anything (you get what you pay for, so if they turn out horrible I won't feel too bad), but I still want the photos to turn out well. Thanks!

One method of shooting engagement shots is to just let them be together as if you were not there. Have them talk to each other, hug & kiss etc. Basically, you shoot candids while they are themselves. This works best with a telephoto lens and with people who are comfortable in that situation.

For poses, I suggest that you look though magazines and web sites. Rip out or print off what you like. Then you can use those pages during the shoot. Show them the picture and say 'do this'.

As with most portrait shooting...it makes a big difference if the people are comfortable with you and just comfortable in general. This is where your personality comes in.
Sometimes it take a bit of time before they 'loosen up'...so just keep shooting. Many people will tell you that the best shots usually come near the end of a session, rather than near the start.

How do you get your subjects to feel at ease with you?

Be at ease with yourself. Take it easy, RELAX, and have some fun with it. Alternate between picking a location yourself, and letting the couple pick a location, which should be plentiful in a Japanese garden. Do the same with poses.

EDIT: Dang, BM...you are quick...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back