Help! Another new, local photographer wants to book a session with me...

betsylynn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A new "photographer" who also resides in my small town has sent me a message requesting to book a session. She has praised me, but truth be told, I know she really just wants to see my business more closely. She already models her business after mine, doing the same mini session themes, creating her logo to look like mine and even talking about my business without naming it in a negative way. She is priced very cheap and although I hate to be critical, her work is .. bad. Funny to me that many do not see it and praise her "creativity". Soo... how can I best handle this to remain professional. I only care about my integrity in the eyes of my customers and I desire to do what is right and best. ANyone else encounter this kind of situation?

Maybe photograph her and publish some shots of her on your blog, and mention how YOU were hired by another local photog to shoot HER portraits? Make SURE you have a release, signed, dated, T's crossed, i's dotted, that gives you the right to use her likeness in your promotional materials, otherwise...don't book her.

listen to Darrel
not being a pro photog it sounds like a mess to me. Like she is looking for an opportunity to see your studio so she can trash talk it. But, like Derrels says, if you can "trump her" by having a contract then it would kinda stabilize what she is doing. But I would stay away from it, maybe she can use a remote release to take her own pictures LOL

Thanks Derrel, I considered doing just as you suggested. Im a tad nervous that I would be so tense when she was there that I would not be at my best relating to her in the session which is what sets me apart. It's a lie that she even needs a session as she had family photos done just two months ago. (Someone must have used her camera to take her family photos). She is moving into an indoor studio so I know she just wants to see how I do it. (Equipment, posing, setup, etc.) Even if she could see, I know she could not duplicate but because of how she blatantly copies, I just am very bitter about giving away any info at all.

Thanks guys. Maybe all I needed to do was post to get some clarity, lol. Im turning down the job, now just need to decide how to say that. Explanation or no?

Just out of curiosity was your logo created through Etsy?

Can you just say- I'm sorry, I'm all booked through June and I won't book this far in advance, call back in May?

By then she will have probably moved on.

Thanks Derrel, I considered doing just as you suggested. Im a tad nervous that I would be so tense when she was there that I would not be at my best relating to her in the session which is what sets me apart. It's a lie that she even needs a session as she had family photos done just two months ago. (Someone must have used her camera to take her family photos). She is moving into an indoor studio so I know she just wants to see how I do it. (Equipment, posing, setup, etc.) Even if she could see, I know she could not duplicate but because of how she blatantly copies, I just am very bitter about giving away any info at all.

Ok, well can I point out that while photoshop is a wonderful tool for removing skin blemishes, zits, etc.. it can also be used to add them in? Lol

Situations such as this *ARE* one of the issues that set a true professional apart from others. Not just in photography but in all professions. Much of the time we don't pick our clients, they pick us, and learning to deal with those that are less than perfect is an art. I'm not a professional photographer but I have worked at consulting engineering shops for a very long time. We deal with site developers on a constant basis and many of them are demanding and hard to work with.

Just handle it. Deal with her the same way you would any other client, with professionalism and courtesy. Don't let her intimidate you, just remember that she came to you because of your abilities. As Derrel said, use the situation for your benefit and not for hers because you are the one in the driver's seat.

Unfortunately this is just another part of business as a photographer, if you take the job and do a great job, use that to your benefit. If on the other hand you don't do a good job, she can just add fuel to help build her own business. Make sure what you produce is far above what she could do, and make sure it's all done in a very professional manner.

Situations such as this *ARE* one of the issues that set a true professional apart from others. Not just in photography but in all professions. Much of the time we don't pick our clients, they pick us, and learning to deal with those that are less than perfect is an art. I'm not a professional photographer but I have worked at consulting engineering shops for a very long time. We deal with site developers on a constant basis and many of them are demanding and hard to work with.

Just handle it. Deal with her the same way you would any other client, with professionalism and courtesy. Don't let her intimidate you, just remember that she came to you because of your abilities. As Derrel said, use the situation for your benefit and not for hers because you are the one in the driver's seat.

Yep. I would treat this like any other client. If you are confident in yourself then this shouldn't be an issue. Just do your thing.

Yep. I would treat this like any other client. If you are confident in yourself then this shouldn't be an issue. Just do your thing.
Her money's as good as any else's (Provided it's paid in advance).

Agree with most. Take the job. Do the same job you do with everything else. Who cares who she is. If she is cheap and bad it really shouldn't affect you. And as Derrel said. Blog about how you even photograph other photographers. Thats a plus for your business.

Take pictures of her and then passive-aggressively attack her on social media.

(This is in jest, but I have seen at least two photographers in my area take this route and it's just sad. Don't be THAT person.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back