HELP: Beach problem

triggerhappy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I've just decided to try and photograph the sunrise at the beach tomorrow morning (5am). I want to try a long exposure to smooth the waves. Does anyone have anyone have any tips on this? I'm particularly interested in the length of time to run the exposure. Also, am I right in assuming it best to take the picture BEFORE the sun comes up? I kinda guess that the sun with blow out before the long exposure of the beach is finished otherwise.

Any help very welcome :D

You need to use a tripod.
As for exposure - you'll have to use your light meter. There are too many variables to give you advice.
With the sun, it depends (again) on circumstances.
Best advice is to try it before, during and after. And change the PoV as well. Just experiment and see what happens.
When in doubt - go for it ;-)

there are many variables to consider and you've only given us a situation.

what film speed will you be shooting?
do you own a neutral density filter?
define 'smoothing' of the waves in your terms. it could mean something entirely different to someone else.

motcon said:

define 'smoothing' of the waves in your terms. it could mean something entirely different to someone else.

Thanks hertz and MC.

"what film speed will you be shooting?"
Digital so no probs there. Usually ISO 200 equiv

"do you own a neutral density filter?"
No but I will play with bracketing to make up for this

"define 'smoothing' of the waves in your terms."
I have a vision of a photo with the sun just coming up over the sea. Ideally I'd like to see the sea smooth and smokey. So that you can't see individual waves.

triggerhappy said:
motcon said:

Thanks hertz and MC.

"what film speed will you be shooting?"
Digital so no probs there. Usually ISO 200 equiv

"define 'smoothing' of the waves in your terms."
I have a vision of a photo with the sun just coming up over the sea. Ideally I'd like to see the sea smooth and smokey. So that you can't see individual waves.

A roughish sea is better with the longest shutter speed you can get away with. This is going to be tough if you are shooting into the sun - an overcast day would be better. So slowest film speed you can shoot at, smallest aperture and definately a ND filter.

Bracketing your exposure is never going to really make up for balancing the sky and foreground with a Neutral Density Grad filter. Ok, if your shooting digital, you can stich together two shots, one exposed for the sky, and the other for the foreground, but the results never look as realistic as using the filter to get it right first time.

If you're able to get hold of an ND grad before you go, I'd highly reccomend it :D

j_mcquillen said:

Bracketing your exposure is never going to really make up for balancing the sky and foreground with a Neutral Density Grad filter. Ok, if your shooting digital, you can stich together two shots, one exposed for the sky, and the other for the foreground, but the results never look as realistic as using the filter to get it right first time.

If you're able to get hold of an ND grad before you go, I'd highly reccomend it :D

Its on my wish list but will have to wait till after christmas I think. (have a few small matters that need to be addressed first - like credit card bills) :oops:

TRY is the key word. When I shoot low light or low light landscapes I just bracket different exposures. It would be good if your camera had mirror lock up but not absolutely needed to get good photos. Just go out and shoot some different exposures.

Most reactions

Back