Help choosing 1st Dslr

hi, new to all this, myself. what about the canon rebel? i see some very, very good shots with them and they are, depending on which model, in the 450-750 dollar range, it seems.

hi, new to all this, myself. what about the canon rebel? i see some very, very good shots with them and they are, depending on which model, in the 450-750 dollar range, it seems.

There are so many different models of Rebel. Which one would you be speaking of?

not real sure, to be honest. obv, the more $$ the better, i'm assuming . right now i've got a powershot that i'm completely happy with, but i'd like a little more in the future.

There are also plenty of different Powershot.

And chemical film ? Seriously ? For someone who specifically wants good low light performance ?!?

Skwerly said:
not real sure, to be honest. obv, the more $$ the better, i'm assuming . right now i've got a powershot that i'm completely happy with, but i'd like a little more in the future.

I my first self bought camera was a PowerShot S3iS. Also known as a "bridge" camera. I would still buy one to this day, to be honest.

Well I'm most likely going to buy the Canon T3 tonight (seemingly against everyone's suggestions). I've looked for the cameras everyone has referred to and the problem is I don't know how much they have been used. This canon comes with the kit lens, a tripod, and an sd card -plus it's only 1 month old for $300.

I hope you guys don't feel like I've ignored your advice. Honest truth is I most likely won't even use this camera to it's full potential. I'll definitely pickup a 50mm lens if I'm unable to get the results I want with the kit lens. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Last edited:
pixmedic said:
I'm with Aaron on this one. I don't have any experience with Sony dslr's, but Ive heard they have a great sensor. and the price sounds like its pretty decent. in my area on Craigslist, ive been seeing Nikon D40's in the $250ish range.
a few D70's, D3000's and D5000's in the $400ish range. even a D200 for $425. just depends on how much hunting you want to do. you can try eBay as well. I'm sure you can fine Canon or Sony equivalents for close to the same price range.

Lol, I got my D5k, kit lens, and 50mm 1.8G for $350.00 on Craigslist :D

Good deals are where you find them. Im too partial to body's with the focus motor. Lets me pick up great deals on AF or D lenses and not have to manual focus.

Bought the T3. I just took a few pics (with the flash off) of the baby sleeping in mama's arms. 10x better than our p&s. Definitely worth the $300.
Fortunately, the camera has a setting where it automatically adjusts all the settings with the flash off. Supposedly the portrait mode gives you the blurry background effect. I'll try it - if it's not good enough, I'll eventually pick up a 50mm lens. I'm not in a big hurry. I got the main feature I was looking for.
I'm keeping this - even if I just use it a few times a month. =D Hey, I've got $300 headphones that get used about once a month.

My first time was with a D90... (get your minds out the gutter ;)...) and I was very very happy with my decision. Primarily because it was low cost but ALSO a bridge from beginner to pro. For someone not used to DSLR's it is simple but offers a huge amount of goodies found on higher end DSLR's.. So you can use it to grow into Nikon's higher lines. Combine that with a much sturdier build quality than entry level cameras, a much more comfortable grip, larger body size (eliminating cramped hands), and the fact that it performs very well for the cost, and it's an amazing start point.

If you can afford it I would also have no issues recommending the D7000 as well.

Lem

I hope it's ok to resurrect this thread but I thought I'd post an update. First of all, I love my camera. I recently bought a "nifty 50" for $50 from a buddy. I love the photos it takes. I'm a total newbie but I know a little about framing shots so I have some great pics.

I'd like to purchase a flash. I like the 430 EX. Can I control that flash from my camera body (T3) or do I have to get the 430 EX II? Also does the 430 EX have the capability to flash at different levels of brightness?

Last edited:
I'd suggest that you either buy a Nikon D40 or a Nikon D90.. Also, look for Nikon D80, That's a great camera too :)

Well I'm really glad I purchased my camera. I currently have the T3, the kit zoom, a 50mm 1.8, and a 40mm pancake. Also have the speedlite 420ex. I thought I'd sell the 50mm when I purchased the 40mm but it was so cheap I figure I'll just keep it.

I'm looking to purchase the T4i (and sell my t3). I think my wife would really like the touch to focus feature. I'm curious to try the video features but I've heard it's not so great.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back