Help choosing a lens!

docphotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone I hope you're all doing well. I was wondering if you guys can comment on three lenses that I'm thinking about getting:

18-55 mm ~ $130 Doesn't come in a kit for the body I'm looking for
28-135 mm ~$325 I would save $100 if bought in a kit
17-85 mm ~$425 I would save $100 if bought in a kit

This would be my "walk around lens" but I'm more concerned about the IQ rather than weight etc. etc.

I definitely plan on getting the 55-250mm IS USM and the 50 mm f1.8 so if you were in my position, which of the three above would you get? My body will either be a 40D or a 50D.

Thanks for your time!

None of the above. Get an third party F/2.8 lens, like the 24-60 F/2.8 from SIGMA - if you can find it. Quite sharp, and well worth the money. Try looking for it used. Buying new is silly - ESPECIALLY if you live in NYC and have access to a ton of used gear in the city.

Thanks for the advice ANDS! I definitely think you're right about going third party and getting something USED... My concern about the former is that I'd really like to get image stabilizing in my lens and it doesn't seem like sigma or tamron have many of those around.

If you could pick one of the three above which do you think would complement the 25-250 the best? Maybe I shouldn't even be buying that one in the first place haha

I am very pleased with my 28-135 IS. I think it's a very good lens for the price. For some reason I see it has a bad reputation though. It is true that it isn't what the 24-105 f/4 L IS is, but it's really just a fraction of the price. Regardless, it has given me great results.

However, as it is a perfect walk around lens due to its range, I would suggest something different than the 25-250. If you want such a long zoom maybe a 70-200 if you can afford it.

The 50mm 1.8 should be pretty good for the price as well. I waited and got the 1.4 instead, and it is certainly my favorite lens.

Good luck!

I think you need to do some soul searching class thinking about what focal length range you need. You list two lenses that include some wide angle in their range and one that includes none. These are NOT comparable lenses.

Ask your self:

1. In addition to the second longer lens, will I be adding a 3rd lens to cover the wide angle end? If no, rule out any lens that doesn't cover at least 18mm on the wide end.

2. Do I need any true wide angle in my walk around lens? 24mm on a 40D or 50D is mearly a somewhat wide normal, not a wide angle at all.

My concern about the former is that I'd really like to get image stabilizing in my lens and it doesn't seem like sigma or tamron have many of those around.

If the lens covers a short range in the focal length, such as the one ANDS mentioned, you may not really need to use the IS/OS/VC much at all. Especially in the lower end range.

Personally, it there are two lenses (make up lenses)
17-50mm F/2.8
17-50mm F 4.5-5.6 IS

Assuming the price of both lenses are the same. And optically quality is about the same, I would rather pick the F/2.8 version. This is just my person choice.

I strongly believe with the wider aperture, I should be able to compensate the camera shake with the faster shutter speed most of the time.

After all, the Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 and Sigma 17-50 F/2.6 with HSM are GREAT lens in terms of optical performance. Especially when compare with the lenses you listed.

Thanks for the advice ANDS! I definitely think you're right about going third party and getting something USED... My concern about the former is that I'd really like to get image stabilizing in my lens and it doesn't seem like sigma or tamron have many of those around.

If you could pick one of the three above which do you think would complement the 25-250 the best? Maybe I shouldn't even be buying that one in the first place haha

If I HAD to pick a lens, I would go for the 18-55MM. Its the cheapest and will perform about as well as the others. The other lenses that cost more simply overlap with what you have (well they all start to) - so it wouldn't make much sense to get something more expensive when you've already got the focal length covered.

Vibration Reduction technology isn't over rated - but I wouldn't spend extra money to get it. Instead learn proper holding techniques and you'll be able to hand hold 1/30th of a second (and hell slower) shots like a champ.

Most reactions

Back