Help Deciding Lenses/Camera

Dm3k1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well for the camera I think I am set on picking up the Nikon D80 (I'm a fan of the Canon 30D and XTi as well). I have very little photography experience but i think it is something I would like to get into. I've worked with these cameras for 3 years (selling them, Best Buy/Circuit City) so I have a feel for the cameras and I play with them all the time.

I'm getting the D80 (could be swayed to the 40x or 200) mainly because I have accommadations through Nikon which gives me the camera at below what the store pays for it. I originally looked at the D40/40x but am turned off by the innability to manually adjust some things. Which is why I think I have made my mind to eat the cost and get the D80 (since if I do get into this I would be re-purchasing either the 80 or the 200). Good Choice?

Secondly and most importantly (the reason why I came here) I am stuck on the lenses to get. Now, I think I want to get the kit that comes with the 18-135 lens since it seems like a good value. I love the 18-200VR (used at the store) but it's not an option on accomadations. I originally planned on getting the new 70-300VR lens which is on the list at a very low price of $345. I think maybe I can get the 18-200 lens for about 650 with my discount. I've heard that the 70-300 is a great lens for a dedicated telephoto but the 18-200 is much more usefull (i know the 300 distorts past 200) and that the 18-200 is much better for capturing moving subjects (of some importance to me).

My Dillemma is- Buy the nikon 18-135 kit and sell the lense and pay the 450$-$550 extra to get the 18-200 or keep the 18-135 and get the 70-300?? Money is becomming an object, I know there are other accessories to get (im picking up a nice case - filters - cards etc.) Now that im up in the 1000's i'd like not go overboard (again, i originally started looking at the D40) With the 70-300 and the kit im at about 1300 with the 18-200 and the camera body i think im at about 1500 (i know, im bitching over 200 dollars- but getting to 300mm could be nice)

What do you guys think? Sorry for the essay.

I also had the Olympus Evolt 510 in mind (I can get the 2 lens kit for like 660) - but it seems although it is a nice little camera (smaller - lighter compact lenses (4:3 i think)) but if this is something I do get into i've heard it is not the best camera, or manufacturer for that matter. Suggestions?

I've heard more experience people on this site say that a zoom lens with a really wide range (ie 18-200), while convenient, is a sure recipe for poor image quality.

Is there not a kit that comes with the D80 and a cheaper lens, maybe an 18-70 or 18-55 instead of the 18-135? Then you could tack on your 70-300 and be set, instead of having a big overlap in the 70-135 region.

I think the d80 does come with a different lense if you want it. I think you have a choice between something close to 18-70 or 17-55 or something or the 18-135. I think you can choose either but not positive.

You could get it with an 18-55 as well. I don't have a lens recommendation for you as I don't know much about Nikon lenses except that I've heard bad things about the 18-200 in terms of IQ.

thanks for the responses guys. I've heard the same about lenses with a wider range not being so great but i've heard great things about the lens. Anyone that uses it or has seen it being used?

I would go with an 18-55 lens with it but i don't beleive that is an option through the accommadation that I am looking at. It might be, and if so i will take your reccomondation, do you think there will be a problem though since i dont have anything through 55-70?. If it's not an option I do beleive I can take the D80 with an 18-55 AND a 55-200 (maybe only with the 40X)

Thanks guys, Still very open to reccomendations.

Most reactions

Back