Help for a Newbie

ScottWinnipeg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Looking for a decent entry level camera, I just want to take some decent shots of my kids playing soccer and other sports but don't want to break the budget. My old camera is so obsolete that I think its time to upgrade. I found a bundle that seems to suit my needs but I am so out of my element here that any input would be greatly appreciated.

Nikon D5600 24.2MP DSLR Camera 18-55mm VR Lens Nikon 70-300mm VR Lens- 64GB Kit

this is the bundle i'm looking at as I was told the Nikon AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4-5.6G VR Lens was good for sporting events

Thanks

Hey. I was in the same position as you are. I went Canon but similarly 24MP with my 77D.

Now, that said, in hindsight I wish that I would have looked more closely at mirrorless cameras. I like my 77D, but the camera body is reasonably large and the lenses are likewise large. When I compare to my wife's later-bought M100 mirrorless, the mirrorless would have allowed to me carry smaller, lighter lenses with similar optical characteristics. My stuff is in a backpack that's pretty full, hers fits in a satchel bag. In my case I can use my bigger DSLR Canon lenses on the mirrorless camera if I want to, but I don't have to.

The Nikon D5600 is a great camera with a lot of features, plus it is relatively compact and easy to carry (not to mention the articulating screen). Also, it is very hard to find a D5600 kit with the 70-300 VR lens. Most come with the non VR 70-300. The price seems about right considering you are getting the 70-300 VR. That being said, most of the other stuff you are getting with it is junk. Other than the two memory cards and the cleaning kit, the rest will likely end up in the bottom of a drawer somewhere or in the trash can.

I know nothing of NJA, the seller. I only buy from B&H or Adorama. I looked up some reviews on NJA and they were either "I love them" or "they are terrible". There was nothing in between, which leads be to believe that some of the 5 stars may have been pumped by NJA. So, make sure you are getting the 70-300 VR and make sure you are comfortable dealing with them.

IMO, and ONLY my opinion,
I personally would look at mirrorless as previously stated.

There are many many reasons for this for my own desires, but it boils down to the fact that with a mirrorless there are alot more possibilities down the road.

Just my opinion.

IMO, and ONLY my opinion,
I personally would look at mirrorless as previously stated.

There are many many reasons for this for my own desires, but it boils down to the fact that with a mirrorless there are alot more possibilities down the road.

Just my opinion.
For me, it's because the M100 with either the 15-45mm lens or the 22mm prime lens is jacket-pocketable, and the 55-200mm telephoto fits in the other jacket pocket. The DSLR takes wonderful pictures, but the M100 and the 77D have the same sensor and in live-view basically get the same image quality. For me, the M50, M6, or M6-II would be probably best. Not that I'm about to go buy a new 24 megapixel camera while I already have two.

Hello and welcome, good luck with your choice of camera.......

The AF-P lens focuses very fast, and if it has VR that is the one you want. I expect that they are selling gray-market[ but I just checked again and it says USA warranty, but that does not sa" official manufacturer's warranty", and MJ looks like a sketchy outfit to me] that they make their profit off of the camera warranties. if you want a one year warranty the bundle will cost you $829. if you were to buy officially imported Nikon gear you would have five years of warranty protection . because it is gray Market( ???) I'm assuming Nikon will not even repair this stuff. I think you would do much better to pay a little bit more and buy officially-imported Nikon gear from B&H or another American retailer of high repute.
Screenshot_20200304-141735_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Looking for a decent entry level camera, I just want to take some decent shots of my kids playing soccer and other sports but don't want to break the budget. My old camera is so obsolete that I think its time to upgrade. I found a bundle that seems to suit my needs but I am so out of my element here that any input would be greatly appreciated.

this is the bundle i'm looking at as I was told the Nikon AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4-5.6G VR Lens was good for sporting events

Thanks

Scott, if you're sold on Nikon for whatever reason, then skip the rest of what I've got to say.
IF you're open to suggestions then read on!
I'm gonna suggest you buy used! Look at a used Canon 7Dmkll and a used 70-200 f4 with NO IS(VR). You can find the camera for about $500 and a lens for probably less than $400. The Nikon D500 is a great camera but they're still selling for close to double that.
The problem I see with Mirror-Less(ML) at this stage is that they are still too new to get a good sports camera and there are few lenses on the used market. I'm not that familiar with entry level ML but I keep reading they are just not great for sports at the entry level.
If you're gonna use it for sports get a sports camera or it will just be an exercise in frustration with missed out of focus shots! In a year when you are more familiar and finally know exactly what you really need you can sell this used stuff for about what you paid for it and get the system you know will serve what you will be shooting into the future!! Good luck!
SS

I totally agree with the "buy used" statement. In a year or two you will have a better idea of what equipment you will want.

I dont know your knowledge and sorry if you know this.
So your looking for a sports camera. One to get action shots with your kids games. First that's awesome. Its going to save those memories :)
For sports camera they can be had at many different price ranges. What makes a sports camera, well a sports camera? Well there are a few things if coarse but as most will agree speed is the main function you want. Closely followed by ISO performance. For an entry lever camera I think speed would be the main focus for you. The speed or FPS (Frames per second) determines how many shots you get per second. So when the ball is kicked to the goalie, you can hold the shutter down and let autofocus and the camera do the rest of the work. If you get 4FPS on a camera. You may get just before the kick, one mid air, one before the goali, one passed the goali. You might want the goali catching it or just as the foot meats the ball for the game winning kick. So at 7FPS you see what happened. You almost double the frames you get in that time. Therefore double the chance of that great shot that looks killer. So that's why FPS is saoght after in sports. That said!,
I would have to agree with the 7Dii. Its 10FPS which is really good.
Again if you want Nikon go get one and love it. I have a 7Dii myself I got for 1800 bucks and am still happy with it. It's a great camera for sports and everything else. The fact that you can get it so cheap now makes it have my vote.
The set up your looking at is great too. I has a lot of stuff you most likey will never use. So I you can find a more simple combo for a little cheaper I would do that one. Just get one and start shooting. Any will be great to get started. Getting a camera is the big step. After you have it a while and you learn more, you will see what you want.

Last edited:

Thanks

Questions first:

What AGE are the kids?
I ask because where I live, high school soccer is played at night under lights.
This is very different than middle school or younger playing in full sunlight.
Daytime gear (primarily the lens) just does not cut it when shooting at night, when you need a faster lens, because of the low light.​

Next is what SPORTS?
A lens for soccer can/will be a dud for basketball.
I saw a student "trying" to use a 70-300 to shoot basketball in the gym. WRONG lens. The gym is too dim, and the lens is too long.
Caution: Shooting in low light conditions is not cheap. You NEED the proper equipment (fast lens) that will let you shoot in that low light. It does not have to be EXPENSIVE, but they are generally not CHEAP. And compromises will have to be made.

The 7D Mark II is a very fine camera for action. It is not as good in low light as some other cameras,but it is not a "dog," and as was mentioned above, a used camera would save you a lot of money. Right here on the Forum is a link to a great used camera store MPB.

Last edited:
for travel backpack , you need a large waterproof backpack
Jane, I personally, if I were using a backpack for photography gear I would never use a pack that was not designed specifically for photography from the ground up.
All good photography packs come with a rain fly. The flies don’t usually have seems that can leak or have to be treated to keep them waterproof.
For example every Lowpro pack that’s designated “W” means it has a built in waterproof rainfly.
Just saying!
SS

Most reactions

New Topics

Back