Help for outdoor portraits

stevco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Helo,

(first, this post should be in some 'photo technique' category, but i couldn't find any, so i'm posting here because is about shooting with film indeed)

I need some help about shooting outdoor portraits, i'm enthusiast and this is not for some purpose, just for personal pleasure and getting more experience in portraits and film photography, and i want to do some quality portraits (as far as I'm able or have right equipment to do). Also might making some prints form the shoot if it appear positive.
I want to do a 'photo-shoot' with a friend or two, the idea is shooting a boxing player, boxer, with white bandage on hands and little red fake blood, and the other one like fallen on the ground, or getting the two of them in a fight or so.

My equipment is:
- Minolta maxxum 600si with Sigma 28-70mm 3.5-4.5, Vivitar Flash.
- Minolta SRT-101 with 58mm 1.4, 35mm 2.8, with Braun flash but not working right now.(the lens are not compatible with Minolta maxxum).
- Also i''m thinking to do this with medium format camera, and I might get it a KIEV-80 with 90mm 2.8 and 65mm 3.6. but i haven't still tried a medium format camera.

First, my opinions:

Equipment: I would use my Minolta SRT with 58mm which is nice for portraits and are sharp, and maybe 35mm for some manipulating the perspective, which would give a nice result.
Lighting: I'm thinking about shooting on period before sunset, when the sun is low, shining on the subject from the side (and from back) which would give me strong shadows and nice colors (i don't want to blow out the face by putting directly on the sun even it would be sunset).This would put the subject a bit in a shade against the light from the side, so i'm thinking about (but i don't want) maybe using the Vivitar flash which is on Minolta maxxum, but sigma is kit lens and not much good, and are slow.
Location: I'm thinking about by a lake, maybe on a football field (like some training), or about putting the boxer by (or IN) a ruined house, and make a strong harsh ambient (i'm not sure about the sunset lighting here).
Film: It would be nice trying with some strong colored film like Fuji, or Kodak Portra VC or Ektar, to pop up the colors.
(I know that using a simple sun reflector will fill the shadows but i don't have one, maybe i'll make a search about making one)

I was too long here. So I would be very glad and thankful if i receive some advice and opinions how to make the portraits/mood/composition/lighting better and naturally; some personal opinions, everything you might think it would be helpful.

Thank you!

Honestly, I'm not sure what to contribute. I see you have a lot of people reading the thread, but not commenting. You seem both technically and creatively on your way.

All I can say is that reflectors help a lot, just get some white styrofoam, usually the stuff can be gotten in the back of supermarkets.

I know it's a little cliched, but I like a little flare shooting into the sun. Get a reflector to fill the face, it's softer than the flash.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to contribute. I see you have a lot of people reading the thread, but not commenting. You seem both technically and creatively on your way.

All I can say is that reflectors help a lot, just get some white styrofoam, usually the stuff can be gotten in the back of supermarkets.

I know it's a little cliched, but I like a little flare shooting into the sun. Get a reflector to fill the face, it's softer than the flash.

Thank you for commenting, first :)

It would be more successful and maybe if shooting with portable flash but I want to use natural light, and i think that a simple light bouncer (reflector) would help out.

I'm planing to make shooting against the sun and for that mostly i want to use reflector.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back