help for young newb

wrbphotograhy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all. Looking for some advice/help.

I am looking at starting a business in the area of actions sports. Something where I set up at a local youth tournament such as; soccer, baseball, football, basketball, etc. etc. And then take orders for certain kids and certain prints.

First question is if anyone has done or has looked at doing this?
How much do you generally want to make per print or order to make sure you can be making money?
Last, I have been shooting some right now for samples and advertisements and is it legal to market the picture of someone if you do not have consent from the person?

Thanks for the help anyone. Any questions for me or anything let me know.

Willie

answers vary from state to state, and country to country I recommend consulting a lawyer in your area to get the facts straight. If someone gave you an answer on here that you followed and it turned out they told you the wrong thing then you could get sued.

However I belive for marketing purposes you will always need a model release, becasue on stock photo sites if a picture has a person in it you must have a signed form from them.

Prices, again vary fro where you live, try looking up sports photogrphers in your area on google and seeing if they have a pricing structure on there website

There is no guarantees you will make make money, and sometimes it can take a while before you see a proffit, although if you already have the equipment that helps, you also have to pay business fees to your county

This is similar to the business i've been planning also. Along with classic portrait photography, i want to go to sports events and pass out my business cards while taking random shots of the players and fans. Interested people can discuss it with me there, or go to the website on the card.

I've also got legal questions as to this venture. Can I post these pictures on a website for browsing purposes? Do I need consent forms?

I got the idea while attending my daughter's cheerleading competitions. Tons of money to be made at these events. They set up a tent and send out their photogs to shoot each squad as a team and as individuals. Family can make instant orders at the tent. I think this is a great business idea to add to my studio portrait venture.

I'd like to know more about this. So i'm gonna do some research but somebody has to have done it successfully. Speak up!
I do alot of family stuff (for my family that is). Several kids are doing Tball and other youth sports. So i get drug out and beaten until i agree to go sit in the hot sun for free. I've never seen anyone shooting and passing out cards. You can rest assured that i will start though ... :D

I'd suggest getting in touch with someone at your local small business association; they'll best know the rules for your area and help you to get everything in order.

Most reactions

Back