Help From Pentax Users Live View on a K1-II

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Setting up for a studio shot, today and for some reason when I go to manual>Live View (rear screen), it stops down to camera settings. So the screen is so dark it's useless. Even with the modeling lights on its still to dark. I don't remember it doing this before so I'm not sure if I've accidentally changed something or what. Anyone?????? I've searched everywhere for the answer.

Bump. Anyone?????? Not finding anything over on the Pentax forum, or on the internet. Can't get through to Tech support.

Do you have a 'still' live-view mode and a 'movie' live-view mode? I would expect the camera to stop down for movie mode...

Do you have a 'still' live-view mode and a 'movie' live-view mode? I would expect the camera to stop down for movie mode...

It does but it appears there are no differences between settings? If on Manual and manual focus, if I use the "preview" lever the screen will get bright as long as I hold it on. Finally got in touch with level one tech, the next level is supposed to call back.

I think it has to do with the light in live view. When in manual mode if the onboard camera meter reads greater than 5 stops underexposed the screen is mostly black. If I get above the 5 stops, LV images is viewable.

I haven't found a way to over ride it yet

Last edited:
I would think the manual would mention whether one or both modes stop down... 'fraid I can't really offer anything.

So, I'm probably not going to be of any help, other than to say that I think it's a setting you must have turned on (or off?) by accident.

IIRC from my Olympus, there is a setting that allows you to see your final image as shot when in live view vs just showing a bright screen no matter the settings.

If I had my camera on me, I could probably find it. I think it was called live view boost or something like that on the Olympus camera. Not sure what that setting would be for Pentax?

@Tireiron - Nothing in the manual about it. I've really studied it. @waday in scouring the internet I've come across the mention of this on several other manufactures, but can find nothing in any of the menus or sub menus on the K1. If there is it's well hidden, because first level tech support didn't have a clue.

Good luck! I hope it's a setting that you can change! Did you say that you were able to see it before, and now you can't?

Good luck! I hope it's a setting that you can change! Did you say that you were able to see it before, and now you can't?

Yes and no, the K3ii is somewhat similar in low light on LV though not as bad. On the K1 if it's any of the P modes or auto, the screen is bright, but in full manual it stops down. If I hold the preview level it will get bright, if I half press back button AF it will get bright as long as I hold it. and if I half press and hold the shutter it will get bright. Finally if I raise the ambient light above 5 stops under it is usable. I guess that might be the best work around and just increase the shutter speed to compensate for the increased ambient? Still waiting on Pentax Tech Support to call back :blue:

Yes and no, the K3ii is somewhat similar in low light on LV though not as bad. On the K1 if it's any of the P modes or auto, the screen is bright, but in full manual it stops down. If I hold the preview level it will get bright, if I half press back button AF it will get bright as long as I hold it. and if I half press and hold the shutter it will get bright. Finally if I raise the ambient light above 5 stops under it is usable. I guess that might be the best work around and just increase the shutter speed to compensate for the increased ambient? Still waiting on Pentax Tech Support to call back :blue:
I hope they get back to you soon!

I haven't heard back from Pentax yet, but based on comments gleaned from their forums, it appears that for some unknown reason when you use the rear monitor in manual mode there is no gain applied. It's strictly WYSIWYG. The K3ii has at least some gain applied that makes useable with modelling lights on. I did find out that switching to X Sync solves the monitor issue, but it locks shutter at 1/200. So looks like I'll either be in studio using the viewfinder or X Sync.

Thanks for the update!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back