help get me set up - Canon Rebel & accessories

Yes, faster lens can perform better in low light, that doesn't mean it does well focussing in low light. Almost all lenses have problem focussing in low light.

Under what conditions is the AF frustrating? I have an XTi, which seems to focus very easily even in poor light. Of course, the lenses I use in low light are f1.7 and f2.8, so if low-light focusing is your problem, either the 50/1.4 or the 85/1.8 should solve that. I don't know if AF is really much different on the T series Rebels. The main advantage of those over the XT/XTi is better high-ISO performance, but if you don't intend to hand-hold in low light with the slow kit lens, then this isn't much of an advantage for the $600-800 price.

The shots that caused the most memorable hair-pulling were when DH tried to shoot a dark brown puppy indoor (with daylight coming in the windows) with a white wall in the background. The camera focused on the puppy's blanket or on the wall, never on the puppy until he turned it to manual focus.

When I'm taking pictures of the kids, I'll often have to press the shutter-release halfway a couple times before it gets the right focus. If their faces are off-center, I often have to move the camera so their faces are center, press the shutter release halfway, and then reframe. Maybe that's normal.

The XT has only 7 AF points, so I don't know how much difference that makes.

It's good to know that the wider aperture lens will help, though.

At B&H Photo, both cameras are nearly the same price with an 18-55mm kit lens, so it's really a matter of whether one body/55mm lens combo will give me better AF than the other. (ETA - and whether the external flash options matter).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back