Help getting clear photos.

Thank you very much for your help! I need to learn more about aperture. I mostly thought of it as a way to adjust exposure.
Aperture is more than that. You would be well-served by reading Understanding Exposure, by Bryan Peterson.

Thank you very much for your help! I need to learn more about aperture. I mostly thought of it as a way to adjust exposure.
Aperture is more than that. You would be well-served by reading Understanding Exposure, by Bryan Peterson.
Thanks! I searched on Google play and looks like they have 3rd and 4th edition. I will get one and read it.

Get a depth of field calculator app for your phone and see what distance is going to be in focus. Understanding depth of field may answer your original problem of trying to get everything in focus. It will compliment the book above.

Well I sent my camera off to canon last week. Just got it back about an hour ago. I am very happy with it! They said the AF assembly was out of position. They adjusted the af assembly and replaced the focus screen. Will try to post pics later! I have also read Understanding Exposure and am halfway through Understanding Composition. Thanks everyone for the help!

I went out this morning and took some pics. It was 20 degrees outside and foggy by the river. I'm having a hard time finding things to photograph. Everything is so dull this time of the year. Anyway, I thought I would share some of the pics I took this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_8739.jpg
    IMG_8739.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_8877.jpg
    IMG_8877.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_8826.jpg
    IMG_8826.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_8851.jpg
    IMG_8851.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_8859.jpg
    IMG_8859.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_8871.jpg
    IMG_8871.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_8848.jpg
    IMG_8848.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 110
Those are some nice photos, Andy! Focus looks good, too :)

Those are good photos. And you've only read one book??

Those are good photos. And you've only read one book??
Thanks! I've almost finished the 2nd book. I've been watching alot of Bryan Peterson's "You Keep Shooting" videos. And I've been watching videos by Mike Browne.

regardless, still looks like an issue with the lens and/or AF module

if you have a clear UV filter on the end of the lens, please remove it and proceed to throw it away.
No, I don't have any filter on the lens. I also have a 70-300mm lens and when I use it, the pictures still aren't that clear.

I this is a tricky lens!!!!! The 70-300! I wish we had a thread on that one by itself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you have a clear UV filter on the end of the lens, please remove it and proceed to throw it away.
No, I don't have any filter on the lens. I also have a 70-300mm lens and when I use it, the pictures still aren't that clear.

I this is a tricky lens!!!!! The 70-300! I wish we had a thread on that one by itself!

Typooo!!! It is a tricky lens [emoji12]

The 70-300 on a crop camera is tricky, because of the magnification. Trying to handhold a 8.5x magnification without IS/VR is HARD.

This is my beef about some of these kits. They put a non IS/VR lens as the long lens, when that is where the IS/VR is NEEDED, especially with a crop sensor camera.

In high school, shooting 35mm film, our hand hold limit was a 300mm lens (6x). And some could not do it, they stopped at 200mm (4x).

You get steady, you had to setup and shoot like shooting a target rifle.

Set up the 70-300 on a bean bag to be steady, shutter speed at least 1/1000 sec, and take a picture.
If it isn't sharp, the lens may be at fault.

Last edited:
rule of thumb: focal length x 2(or more) = minimum shutter speed.

VR is only useful/needed under 1/500 sec.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back