HELP! I get calls, but no appointments!

...I never hear anything back! What am i doing wrong?

It's tough! I don't get it either. The best I can offer is the market has changed. I don't know how long you've been at it, but I've been here in my own place since '83, and at another studio (same town) for 5 years prior.

I think your work is very salable. Your site is fine. It's not hard to find your way around, unless you live in Florida and have trouble with butterfly ballots.

I too love the idea of music with my images, but chose not to have it auto-start after considering the workplace scenario. And, I don't want to pay royalties.

I priced out your beginning senior package... the $200 package. My charges for the same is $387 without the CD and one less 4x6... all from one pose, all shooting in the studio. So I think you offer a great value.

You (and I) should be booked solid for weeks out. In my area, photographers are really quite friendly with each other. I talk occasionally with most of them. Nobody is setting any records lately. Most of us, like you, are scratching our heads.

It's my belief that, with the advent of better and better equipment, the value of good photography is being lost. The vast majority of potential customers (and many of the newer "photographers") don't know the difference between a properly exposed image and a proper lit portrait. It seems that anything in focus that's not over or under exposed is often considered a good photograph. Many are settling for DIY photography or anybody with a "good camera."

I don't know what the answer is. I doubt we'll be able to re-educate the buying public any time soon. I try to find educated buyers. Most of them so far are professionals who buy photography for thier companies, so I've be keeping afloat doing commercial work.

It seems you're doing nearly everything mostly right. Ten or twelve years ago, you'd be swamped doing what you do now. I don't get.

-Pete

I have asked in the email "when would you like to schedule a session" or "Let me know when you are ready to schedule your session" but again no response.
This doesn't create a sense of urgency and makes it sound like you're just sitting around twiddeling your thumbs.

Your reply should be more on the lines of, "Thanks for your inquiry. You are so lucky, I can book your session next Wednesday at 10:00 am, or the Friday after that at 4:00 pm. I'd be happy to let you know if I have any cancellations, but they don't happen very often.

Let me know when you would like to schedule your session so I can check my bookings and let you know what dates and times I still have available."

You might want to hone your salesmanship skills. There's lots of good books out there.

A successful photography business happens based on 80% business skill and 20% photographic skill.

I love this :) I'm gonna give it a shot myself. Of course, I will have to take my calendar off my site :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back