Help, i photo or ViewNX2

ViewNX, unlike iPhoto, gives the rendition identical to your camera - those Nikon colors. Unfortunately it is miserable slow and buggy, unbelievable that company with size of Nikon cannot write a decent basic raw converter. But it still can create good pictures if you learn nikon picture styles etc. More advanced software, DXO and Capture One also have nikon profiles, they are not 100% identical to Nikon, but close. Apple has its own style, some people love some people hate it.
Oh, but they can and they do. They just don't give it away for free. The RAW converter in Capture NX2 is excellent.

Capture NX2 was initially developed by Nik software, with added know-how from Nikon. The future is moot for Capture NX2 as Nik was acquired by Google and Nikon has no track record of developing or maintaining software. Capture NX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Capture NX2 was initially developed by Nik software, with added know-how from Nikon. The future is moot for Capture NX2 as Nik was acquired by Google and Nikon has no track record of developing or maintaining software. Capture NX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
True that Capture NX and NX2 were originally developed by Nik Software, however I disagree that Nikon has not been maintaining Capture NX2 since Google acquired Nik in late 2012. Nikon has released a couple of patches to Capture NX2 this year (I don't remember exactly how many, I download them but seldom install them) as well as patches to View NX2 and most of their other software.

I've been using Capture NX2 since 2009 and have no urge to switch to anything else. I have all kinds of editors but I seldom use them. Capture NX2 does 90% of what I want and it does it better and quicker than most of the alternative editors. It is also a non-destructive editor, and everything it does can be compared to a layer in Photoshop in that it can be turned on or off, the opacity changed, it can be deleted, and so on.

True that Capture NX and NX2 were originally developed by Nik Software, however I disagree that Nikon has not been maintaining Capture NX2 since Google acquired Nik in late 2012. Nikon has released a couple of patches to Capture NX2 this year (I don't remember exactly how many, I download them but seldom install them) as well as patches to View NX2 and most of their other software.

I've been using Capture NX2 since 2009 and have no urge to switch to anything else. I have all kinds of editors but I seldom use them. Capture NX2 does 90% of what I want and it does it better and quicker than most of the alternative editors. It is also a non-destructive editor, and everything it does can be compared to a layer in Photoshop in that it can be turned on or off, the opacity changed, it can be deleted, and so on.

Another little-know feature of CNX2 is that it is not only a non-destructive editor, it allows you to take a .TIF or .JPG image and save it as a .NEF (Nikon's raw format). This will allow you to edit the other formats and save them in a non-destructive manner. So if you edit a TIF or JPEG, you can save it as a NEF, then come back in the future and undo or alter any of your edits... or restore the image back to it's original state. All without messy sidecar files that may get lost.

Another little-know feature of CNX2 is that it is not only a non-destructive editor, it allows you to take a .TIF or .JPG image and save it as a .NEF (Nikon's raw format). This will allow you to edit the other formats and save them in a non-destructive manner. So if you edit a TIF or JPEG, you can save it as a NEF, then come back in the future and undo or alter any of your edits... or restore the image back to it's original state. All without messy sidecar files that may get lost.
Exactly right, good point. I do that from time to time as well and it is quite handy.

Most reactions

Back