HELP! I was hired to take portraits tomorrow!

meg12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My aunt hired me to take "professional" pictures of her for this thing at work and I reallly do not want to disappoint her. I am experienced in photography and I am in an advanced photography class so its not like I do not know what I am doing.
This is the equipment I am going to use-let me know if I am missing anything
1. camera: brand new canon T2i
2. lens: 90 macro tamaron (macro or no macro?? idk which one)
3. hood
4. do I need a flash attachment??

I am going to be taking them outside around 4:00 and I do not have any extra lighting to bring. It is going to be sunny.

PLEASE HELP!!

We need more information on what kind of shoot it is and where / lighting / action / still portrait / one person or many things like that to recommend any additional information help.

Three things: "hired", "portraits", "HELP"

Not only is your post vague, why did you agree to get paid for photography, on 24 hours notice, without knowing what you should bring? I'm not trying to be a dick, but I would never, ever, offer my services for a fee if I wasn't 100% sure what I needed to do/bring.

I'd definitely spend an hour or two tonight creating a very large, bold, creative watermark overlay in Photoshop or some other graphics editing program. Keep in mind "most" portraits of standing or seated people look best when framed as tall images, aka verticals, aka with the camera held in in "portrait orientation". Then, since you have been, "hired [me] to take "professional" pictures of her for this thing at work" you can overlay the watermark on the images and presto! you aunt will have received what she payed for from you!

Good luck with the gig tomorrow, and good luck in your advanced photo class. Keep at it. Do not get discouraged! Rome was not built in just one day ( I heard it took somewhere around six weeks, actually).

5671306116_d801e4c42a_m.jpg

Were you hired by a troll?

Lol. This forum is so funny.

If you're posting for help, at least leave a lot of details so we can try to help especially if you only got less than a day to prepare. I think that if you're in an advance photography class, you should already know what to bring, how to do it, and etc.

Despite the urge to tell you that you're foolish for agreeing to do something that you clearly do not know how to do, I will offer some helpful advice.

1. Keep in areas of open shade. No direct sunlight. Direct harsh 4pm afternoon sun is a great way to ruin a portrait with heavy shadows. I would advise you to use a reflector as well, but chances are this will be too much if you are on your own, so you're best to keep it simple.

2. Be mindful of backgrounds. Nothing distracting, at all. No poles poking out the top of your aunt's head or dogs humping in the distance. Use a wide aperture (f/2.8 - f/4) to help blur out the background to keep the focus on your aunt.

3. Focus on the eyes. Failing to do so is unforgiveable.

4. Look online for some examples of the kind of shots you want to create, then have her copy the poses from those. Posing is very important and as the photographer it is your job to instruct her what to do.

5. Keep the ISO below 400 and don't let the shutter speed drop below 1/100s or thereabouts

6. Post your results back here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back