Help id 3 types of artifact

kalvinclauer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have attached an image showing 3 different types of unwanted "artifacts". It appears I have dust or fibers on my sensor because the squiggles (and maybe the dots) are there on two photos with different lenses (right?). Last year I tried to photograph a rare transit of the planet Mercury but couldn't tell what was dust and what was the planet, which was very disappointing.
There is also some vertical bars at top left - is that maybe from the heat? It was about 32 Celsius.
I also have some hard to see faint circular spots that are lighter than the surroundings. I have drawn arrows pointing to them. Are they some sort of flare from the sun? The lens in this case is a rather old telephoto lens 70 mm to 200 I think that my grandparents had on there single reflex.
Can anyone tell me what all of these things are!?

Attachments

• artifact problems lens.JPG
    artifact problems lens.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 258
sensor dust

The lens in this case is a rather old telephoto lens 70 mm to 200 I think that my grandparents had on there single reflex.
I think there is a mix of sensor dust and lens dust.

1. Clean both ends of your lens.

2. Clean your sensor (or have someone who knows how do it for you).

Dust/oil and some type of flying snake, I suppose the snake could have come from the international space station too.

Sometimes you can see if there dust on the viewfinder by taking off the lens and looking through the viewfinder or just looking at the mirror, do this inside. if it is those then you can rule out a certain amount which will effect you photo.

Dust bunnies on the image sensor (out of focus & light diffuse blobs) and crap (almost in focus, darker with a more defined shape) on the rear lens element.

Geeze, did you ever think of cleaning that thing once in a while???

:allteeth: :biggrin-new: :biggrin-93: :lol: :laughing::biglaugh:

Thanks for replies so far. KmH: you are saying the faint light spots are from the sensor? (Do I have to quote him to get him to see my question) is the flare the vertical bars?
I know I have dust on the mirror. Can this affect images. I do of course see it looking the the viewfinder.

your sensor dirty, and your UV filter is crummy.

the fact you see dust on the mirror (most likely the focusing screen), suggests you need to be more careful when swapping lenses.

Most reactions

Back