Help...Macro/Micro Lens for Nikon

wolfercatt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just purchased a D5100 with 18-55mm lens. Would like to move towards macro/micro photography. I am looking at the 70-300mm Nikkor VR II lens, but wonder if I should be purchasing a different lens for the close ups I prefer. I am confused as I am very new to this hobby and there are many options and not that many explanations in the differences/advantages. :hail: Any insight/advice would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Actually your Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens already offers weak 1:3.2 macro. You can get even better, but it will cost ya. A LOT.

A relatively cheap option would be the AF-S 85mm f/3.5 VR. It has image stabilization, that will help with handheld macro.

You might also want to invest into a tripod thats able to fix the camera in really close position, and/or a macro flash (its a ring around the lens, so the flash can focus really closely).

Thanks Solarflare! I have a tripod, and am willing to spend. I just don't know what to spend on. The macro I currently have doesn't come close to what I am ultimately looking for. I will look into the 85mm lens and macro flash now :) Can you offer any insight regarding teleconverters/extension tubes...education sources maybe..hahaha? Books?

Macro really DOESN'T have to cost you A LOT. I use the Tokina 100mm macro lens--it's an awesome lens, pretty easy to learn macro on, and I bought mine used for about $350. The Tokina gives you the 1:1 ratio you need for true macro.

I also have Kenko extension tubes, and they are definitely an option, although I greatly prefer my macro lens, personally.
If you do go with extension tubes, don't get the cheap knockoffs that don't have contact points to "communicate" with the camera.

I think I want to be at 100-105mm to start. I don't want to poor a ton of money in, only to find out I prefer something else though. That's my trouble. I don't reaaaallly know what I prefer in definition. What do you know about the higher end filters?

I think I want to be at 100-105mm to start. I don't want to poor a ton of money in, only to find out I prefer something else though. That's my trouble. I don't reaaaallly know what I prefer in definition. What do you know about the higher end filters?

I'm thinking about getting the 85mm and adding a filter or teleconverter...If that's not a solid plan, I'd rather invest in the better lens to begin with.

If you're talking about the screw-on filters to achieve macro results, I wouldn't use them. You just won't get the quality from them that you can with a macro lens, or even tubes.

If you aren't *sure* that you want to do macro, I'd suggest:

--Kenko extension tubes (or similar, something with contact points). Reasonably inexpensive--for me, they were a little tricky to really learn to use well, but you CAN get some really good results with them. I've seen stunning macro work done with tubes.

--The Tokina 100mm macro lens. Can't say enough good things about this lens--if you can afford the initial investment, and then decide it's not for you, you can always resell the lens. Good lenses like that keep their resell value pretty well, so you likely wouldn't lose much if you resell it later. The way I look at it-- if I keep a lens for six months, and sell it for $50 less than I bought it for, well, I just spent $50 to rent a lens for six months. I'd buy from a reputable dealer though--I think I got mine from B&H, but I've also bought from KEH or Adorama.

--If you really don't even want to spend what it would cost to get decent extension tubes until you know if macro is for you, consider a reversing ring for your 18-55 kit lens. I've not used one, but they are routinely suggested by others I respect as a viable, inexpensive alternative.

EDIT: Oh, and the Tokina isn't limited to doing macro work. You can use it as a regular lens as well.

EDIT 2: Big caveat. I just realized you said you have a D5100. The Tokina won't autofocus on it, so you'd have to focus manually. But I have vision problems, and never had much trouble using it on my D5100.

I am SURE about macro. I'm going to buy a decent lens..a 85mm, 100mm, or 105mm, learn to use that and then look at extension tubes or other lenses. I may be happy with just the lens alone for a while :) Thanks for your insight..I really appreciate it. I'm going to invest in some good books so that I don't drive the forum nuts with my questions. I will post pics once I have everything together. I have one more question...Do you know how to change "My Photos Are Not OK to Edit"? I can't locate that setting anywhere. Thanks again!!! Best ~

Macro really DOESN'T have to cost you A LOT. I use the Tokina 100mm macro lens--it's an awesome lens, pretty easy to learn macro on, and I bought mine used for about $350. The Tokina gives you the 1:1 ratio you need for true macro.

I also have Kenko extension tubes, and they are definitely an option, although I greatly prefer my macro lens, personally.
If you do go with extension tubes, don't get the cheap knockoffs that don't have contact points to "communicate" with the camera.

I second what Sharon says... the Tokina is a EXCELLENT first macro lens. The Tamron 90 is good too. I recommend the lens over the extension tubes as it will give better images than a kit lens and tubes.

OK..one more question. Can you explain the difference in a 100mm lens vs the say 70-300mm lens? I know there is a big difference, I'm just unsure of what it is. Thanks :)

I'm thinking about getting the 85mm and adding a filter or teleconverter...If that's not a solid plan, I'd rather invest in the better lens to begin with.

The 85 is a great lens... I have used it. But stay away from the filters and other screw on crap. If you want something like that, go with the Amazon.com: Raynox DCR-250 Super Macro Snap-On Lens: Camera & Photo. I have one and use it often... good glass lenses, and basically doubled the magnification. I do have images I can show you from the 85 mm... and with the Raynox. Let me know if you want to see them.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
OK..one more question. Can you explain the difference in a 100mm lens vs the say 70-300mm lens? I know there is a big difference, I'm just unsure of what it is. Thanks :)

The 100 Macro is a prime obviously, and is designed for very close, accurate focusing with maximum magnification. The 70-300 is a Zoom obviously, that is designed for general use. IT is NOT a Macro lens.... any Zoom that claims Macro capability usually means that it will do some lightwieght macro... usually around 1:3 (basically like 1/3 of a life size image). True Macro lenses do 1:1 (actual life size image). There are some actual Real Macro zoom lenses... but they are rare and relatively expensive.

Any Zoom can be turned into a fairly decent "almost macro" lens with tubes... but you have to deal with the increased weight and size, and the tubes connection makes it slightly more "wobbly" and difficult to use, but they can turn out good images.

Also keep in mind that in macro, lighting is everything. You can use natural light of course, but diffused flash will give you much better, more consistent images.

does that help?

The 85 is a great lens... I have used it. But stay away from the filters and other screw on crap. If you want something like that, go with the Amazon.com: Raynox DCR-250 Super Macro Snap-On Lens: Camera & Photo. I have one and use it often... good glass lenses, and basically doubled the magnification. I do have images I can show you from the 85 mm... and with the Raynox. Let me know if you want to see them.

Ok, I'd like to see pics. I'm just looking to have variance and fun while waiting for to rebuild funds for another lens :) Thanks!

The 70-300mm tells lies - or rather marketing means that they use the term macro when what they really mean is close focusing.

The 70-300mm macro lenses typically get to, at best 0.5:1 magnification (half life size) - whilst a true macro lens (which is most of the prime (single focal length) macro lenses on the market) gets to a full 1:1 magnification.

In practical terms:
70-300mm best:
3235277616_3d1c9bb721.jpg

and from a true macro lens
3234315137_a66585f1d9.jpg

Ok, I'd like to see pics. I'm just looking to have variance and fun while waiting for to rebuild funds for another lens :) Thanks!

Here is one from the Nikon 85mm (diffused flash) and some cropping to increase subject size in the image

Green Grasshopper by CGipson Photography, on Flickr

This one was taken with the Tokina 100 Macro, with the Raynox DCR250 on it (diffused flash) no crop on this one except for format

Box Elder Beetle by CGipson Photography, on Flickr

There are more on my Flickr page under Macro...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back