Help...Macro/Micro Lens for Nikon

OK..one more question. Can you explain the difference in a 100mm lens vs the say 70-300mm lens? I know there is a big difference, I'm just unsure of what it is. Thanks :)

The 100 Macro is a prime obviously, and is designed for very close, accurate focusing with maximum magnification. The 70-300 is a Zoom obviously, that is designed for general use. IT is NOT a Macro lens.... any Zoom that claims Macro capability usually means that it will do some lightwieght macro... usually around 1:3 (basically like 1/3 of a life size image). True Macro lenses do 1:1 (actual life size image). There are some actual Real Macro zoom lenses... but they are rare and relatively expensive.

Any Zoom can be turned into a fairly decent "almost macro" lens with tubes... but you have to deal with the increased weight and size, and the tubes connection makes it slightly more "wobbly" and difficult to use, but they can turn out good images.

Also keep in mind that in macro, lighting is everything. You can use natural light of course, but diffused flash will give you much better, more consistent images.

does that help?

That helps immensely!!! I do need a good flash and was looking to start with an SB-600 + Diffuser and a remote. Does that sound decent to begin with? Sharon shed some light that I'm not wasting money buying and trying because I can always re-sell the equipment. I went into this thinking I was throwing all kinds of money away by not knowing what I wanted. I had a Nikon L120...awful imo...it died just out of warranty. I then purchased a FUJI HS30 last week thinking I could get some macro with it. Not even close..so I returned it and bought the D5100. I'm very happy with this camera, but craving the macro :) Not sure how to get where I want to be, but you both are really helping me. I appreciate your time and insight!

OK..one more question. Can you explain the difference in a 100mm lens vs the say 70-300mm lens? I know there is a big difference, I'm just unsure of what it is. Thanks :)

The 100 Macro is a prime obviously, and is designed for very close, accurate focusing with maximum magnification. The 70-300 is a Zoom obviously, that is designed for general use. IT is NOT a Macro lens.... any Zoom that claims Macro capability usually means that it will do some lightwieght macro... usually around 1:3 (basically like 1/3 of a life size image). True Macro lenses do 1:1 (actual life size image). There are some actual Real Macro zoom lenses... but they are rare and relatively expensive.

Any Zoom can be turned into a fairly decent "almost macro" lens with tubes... but you have to deal with the increased weight and size, and the tubes connection makes it slightly more "wobbly" and difficult to use, but they can turn out good images.

Also keep in mind that in macro, lighting is everything. You can use natural light of course, but diffused flash will give you much better, more consistent images.

does that help?

That helps immensely!!! I do need a good flash and was looking to start with an SB-600 + Diffuser and a remote. Does that sound decent to begin with? Sharon shed some light that I'm not wasting money buying and trying because I can always re-sell the equipment. I went into this thinking I was throwing all kinds of money away by not knowing what I wanted. I had a Nikon L120...awful imo...it died just out of warranty. I then purchased a FUJI HS30 last week thinking I could get some macro with it. Not even close..so I returned it and bought the D5100. I'm very happy with this camera, but craving the macro :) Not sure how to get where I want to be, but you both are really helping me. I appreciate your time and insight!

I helped "tutor" Sharon a little bit, when she first started Macro... but she is rocking the world now! ;)

The 600 is a good flash to start with... much better than the 400. This is a good diffuser to start with also.. cheap, and works well: Amazon.com: Fotodiox 6"x8" Softbox for Nikon, Canon, Vivita, Sunpack, Nissin,Sigma, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonica Lumix Flash: Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

does that help?

I helped "tutor" Sharon a little bit, when she first started Macro... but she is rocking the world now! ;)

The 600 is a good flash to start with... much better than the 400. This is a good diffuser to start with also.. cheap, and works well: Amazon.com: Fotodiox 6"x8" Softbox for Nikon, Canon, Vivita, Sunpack, Nissin,Sigma, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonica Lumix Flash: Camera & Photo

Can I be next in line for "tutoring"...??? Hahaha I am looking at lenses and I had no idea how much the macro lens was compared to the zoom lens. I'm looking to keep it under $400 and still having trouble. Geeze! I don't want to WAIT!!! I'm appears I'm an addict..lol..On the search :)

Can I be next in line for "tutoring"...??? Hahaha I am looking at lenses and I had no idea how much the macro lens was compared to the zoom lens. I'm looking to keep it under $400 and still having trouble. Geeze! I don't want to WAIT!!! I'm appears I'm an addict..lol..On the search :)

Tokina AF 100mm F 2 8 at x M100 Pro D Macro Lens Canon Mount Beautiful 1467 4961607633946 | eBay

Nikon AF Mount Tokina 100mm 2 8 D at x Pro Macro Lens Mint Free US Shipping 4961607633946 | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamron-SP-A...92307836?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item20cdd6017c

On the Ebay stuff... do your own research, only buy from reputable dealers. Stay away from deals "too good to be true", especially if they are overseas... be careful!

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

A little bit?!?! THAT's an understatement!! :lmao:
Charlie was (and still IS--I have a LONG way to go!) immensely helpful--you want to listen to him when it comes to macro!! But I will caution you about one thing: Charlie is a bit like a crack dealer--he is pretty much responsible for my macro addiction! "Try this lens," he says. So I do. "You need to get an off-camera flash," he says, so I do. "You need to not shoot as wide open, so you get more DOF" he says. So I try it. Next thing I know, the Tokina is on my camera pretty much all the time and I'm walking around downtown stalking bugs, posting crazy insect close-ups on FB and kinda grossing out my family and friends, and now...well, now it's hopeless. I. Can't. Stop. :biglaugh:

Here's a couple with the Tokina, manually focused on the D5100:

passionflower_0057 by sm4him, on Flickr

There's plenty more on my Flickr page; pretty much all my macros are done with the setup (a few used extension tubes). Traded in my D5100 for a D7000 on Black Friday, but haven't gotten a chance to do much macro or upload much of anything yet.

EDIT: Oh, and about the "My Photos are not OK to edit" thing. Definitely want to change that, imo. Go to "Settings" up at the top of the page. Then click "Edit Profile" over on the left under "My Settings"...scroll down and you'll find the option to change that.

Thank you..changing that setting. I am addicted already! I am actually craving macro shots. I'm looking at lenses and blowing everything off that I have to do today...not like me...this is crazy. A good crazy though :) I just wish I had more money so I can do everything at once exactly the way I'd like to...as I'm told...lol. I'll find a way.....

If you're talking about the screw-on filters to achieve macro results, I wouldn't use them. You just won't get the quality from them that you can with a macro lens, or even tubes.

If you aren't *sure* that you want to do macro, I'd suggest:

--Kenko extension tubes (or similar, something with contact points). Reasonably inexpensive--for me, they were a little tricky to really learn to use well, but you CAN get some really good results with them. I've seen stunning macro work done with tubes.

--The Tokina 100mm macro lens. Can't say enough good things about this lens--if you can afford the initial investment, and then decide it's not for you, you can always resell the lens. Good lenses like that keep their resell value pretty well, so you likely wouldn't lose much if you resell it later. The way I look at it-- if I keep a lens for six months, and sell it for $50 less than I bought it for, well, I just spent $50 to rent a lens for six months. I'd buy from a reputable dealer though--I think I got mine from B&H, but I've also bought from KEH or Adorama.

--If you really don't even want to spend what it would cost to get decent extension tubes until you know if macro is for you, consider a reversing ring for your 18-55 kit lens. I've not used one, but they are routinely suggested by others I respect as a viable, inexpensive alternative.

EDIT: Oh, and the Tokina isn't limited to doing macro work. You can use it as a regular lens as well.

EDIT 2: Big caveat. I just realized you said you have a D5100. The Tokina won't autofocus on it, so you'd have to focus manually. But I have vision problems, and never had much trouble using it on my D5100.

Is this the lens you are referring to? Used Tokina 100mm f/2.8 AT-X M100 AF Pro D ATXAFM100PRON B&H I don't mind manual, but there doesn't appear to be any vr/os/is on it. Is that going to present a big problem for me? If so, I'll move to a lens with a built in stabilizer. I like to shoot on impulse, so I'm not always going to be set up with a tripod/flash/diffuser.

If you're talking about the screw-on filters to achieve macro results, I wouldn't use them. You just won't get the quality from them that you can with a macro lens, or even tubes.

If you aren't *sure* that you want to do macro, I'd suggest:

--Kenko extension tubes (or similar, something with contact points). Reasonably inexpensive--for me, they were a little tricky to really learn to use well, but you CAN get some really good results with them. I've seen stunning macro work done with tubes.

--The Tokina 100mm macro lens. Can't say enough good things about this lens--if you can afford the initial investment, and then decide it's not for you, you can always resell the lens. Good lenses like that keep their resell value pretty well, so you likely wouldn't lose much if you resell it later. The way I look at it-- if I keep a lens for six months, and sell it for $50 less than I bought it for, well, I just spent $50 to rent a lens for six months. I'd buy from a reputable dealer though--I think I got mine from B&H, but I've also bought from KEH or Adorama.

--If you really don't even want to spend what it would cost to get decent extension tubes until you know if macro is for you, consider a reversing ring for your 18-55 kit lens. I've not used one, but they are routinely suggested by others I respect as a viable, inexpensive alternative.

EDIT: Oh, and the Tokina isn't limited to doing macro work. You can use it as a regular lens as well.

EDIT 2: Big caveat. I just realized you said you have a D5100. The Tokina won't autofocus on it, so you'd have to focus manually. But I have vision problems, and never had much trouble using it on my D5100.

Is this the lens you are referring to? Used Tokina 100mm f/2.8 AT-X M100 AF Pro D ATXAFM100PRON B&H I don't mind manual, but there doesn't appear to be any vr/os/is on it. Is that going to present a big problem for me? If so, I'll move to a lens with a built in stabilizer. I like to shoot on impulse, so I'm not always going to be set up with a tripod/flash/diffuser.

Sorry, I just saw the above posts with links to used lenses..Thanks!

^Yeah, that's it. No, it doesn't have VR or equivalent, but I don't find that it matters at all for the type of things I shoot with it, despite the fact that I have a hand tremor.

I *rarely* ever use a tripod when I'm shooting macro. Bugs are pretty fickle "models"--they're not very good at waiting around while you get set up! :D
Both of the macro photos I posted above, as well as probably 98% of what's on my Flickr are done hand-held.
Probably 40-50% of them are without flash. But I'll tell you that if you'll learn to use a flash and diffuser, it really CAN take your macro to a whole different level. I was *extremely* reluctant to try off-camera flash, and I still need to learn how to use it better (especially now that I've switched to the D7000), but once I saw the results of getting it right with flash, there was no going back. Next stop--ring flash! :D

VR is kind of a joke on short focal length lenses... and (IMO) is questionable even at 100 to 105. It is useful for low light, slow shutter speed, non-flash stuff.... not your typical macro.

^Yeah, that's it. No, it doesn't have VR or equivalent, but I don't find that it matters at all for the type of things I shoot with it, despite the fact that I have a hand tremor.

I *rarely* ever use a tripod when I'm shooting macro. Bugs are pretty fickle "models"--they're not very good at waiting around while you get set up! :D
Both of the macro photos I posted above, as well as probably 98% of what's on my Flickr are done hand-held.
Probably 40-50% of them are without flash. But I'll tell you that if you'll learn to use a flash and diffuser, it really CAN take your macro to a whole different level. I was *extremely* reluctant to try off-camera flash, and I still need to learn how to use it better (especially now that I've switched to the D7000), but once I saw the results of getting it right with flash, there was no going back. Next stop--ring flash! :D

Ok..The shots posted are incredible, BTW..I'm just focused on equipment right now. Once I have this figured out I will check out both of your flickr pics. I'm looking at the Tokina you pointed me to on eBay and an 85mm VR II I found on CL. I think I'll go with the Tokina based on your pics above and both of you seem to have a very high opinion of that lens. Now...how to feed the child..lol

Oh, should I just put a UV coated glass filter on it for protection? I have always used the lens cap, but it does not seem to be the norm.

Ok..The shots posted are incredible, BTW..I'm just focused on equipment right now. Once I have this figured out I will check out both of your flickr pics. I'm looking at the Tokina you pointed me to on eBay and an 85mm VR II I found on CL. I think I'll go with the Tokina based on your pics above and both of you seem to have a very high opinion of that lens. Now...how to feed the child..lol

Oh, should I just put a UV coated glass filter on it for protection? I have always used the lens cap, but it does not seem to be the norm.

We usually recommend against any filters, unless you just really feel the need. The more stuff you hang on the end of the lens, the more likely you are to degrade your image quality. If you do want to go with a "protection" filter.. just get a high end clear lens, Digital sensors do not require UV protection like Film did.... (no matter what the low paid high school kid at your local camera shop may tell you.. he is just trying to sell you a filter that they make a good markup on!)

What about this to get started? Used Tamron Sp 90 2.8 Macro F/nkn Af

I need other stuff besides just the lens, so I'm trying to cut down on the lens expense initially. I can upgrade later on when I'm not getting hit all at once. If this isn't going to be a wise choice..please advise. Thanks!

I need other stuff besides just the lens, so I'm trying to cut down on the lens expense initially. I can upgrade later on when I'm not getting hit all at once. If this isn't going to be a wise choice..please advise. Thanks!

sounds like a good deal... Adorama rocks also!

sounds like a good deal... Adorama rocks also!

Is there a huge diff between the Tokina 100mm and this one? I also found this one, Used Tamron Sp 90 2.5 Tele-macro Lens *55 but it's so inexpensive that I seriously question it. The only difference I see is that it isn't AF. This is part of why I came in here so confused..hahaha. I guess because it's not AF..maybe it's older..idk??? I'll stop pestering after this and just buy something. Thanks again!

Most reactions

Back