Help Me Choose a 35mm SLR, please!

BTilson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've done a bit of reading, but there are SO MANY 35mm SLR's out there, especially when you include searching for older models, that I am having a hard time even narrowing down my decisions. So I will list what I consider to be "musts" in the camera I want.

1) Full manual control, including focus. If it has auto modes, that's fine, but I don't need or want them particularly.

2) A wide range of shutter speeds. Preferably up to 1/4000", but not necessary to go THAT high.

3) Some sort of built in metering. At LEAST a +/- indicator to show if I'm over or under exposed, but one that can show how MUCH I am over or under would be even better.

Here is what I would "LIKE" to have, but would be willing to live without.

1) A depth of field preview button.

2) A hotshoe for an external flash.

I will be doing mostly outdoor shooting, and I want to get a nice 35 and/or 50mm prime lens with it. My budget will be up to $250 MAYBE. $150'ish or below would be even better though.

I recieved a few recommendations in a previous thread, but now I that I have my requirements narrowed down a bit, I think a seperate thread will help out a lot.

Thanks in advance for any advice or input!

Many cameras should suit your needs. Did you have look at a Nikon FM2/FM2n?

For $200 you can buy a nikon f100, used on ebay.. it's one of the best film cameras ever made.

If you want something more "retro" I suggest a nikon f3.. it will do everything you listed.

Nikon FM2/FM2N is all mechanical with speeds to 1/4000. An excellent camera.

Nikon FM2/FM2N is all mechanical with speeds to 1/4000. An excellent camera.

Agree an excellent camera, but I think all the features of the f100 are worth the extra $50. The TS didn't say anyting about requiring an all mechanical camera... there's not much reason for that other then for those of us that are equipment junkies.

I got my F100 for $200. Best film camera i've ever used. But, manual focus isn't that great since it lacks a split prism. It does have the little "digital rangefinder" dot though.

Agree an excellent camera, but I think all the features of the f100 are worth the extra $50. The TS didn't say anyting about requiring an all mechanical camera... there's not much reason for that other then for those of us that are equipment junkies.

I'm glad you like your F100. :lol:

Most reactions

Back