Help me choose my future "pro gear"

Sid51

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am an "semi-pro" photographer trying to get into the professional scene. I've been photographing mostly skateboard events and trips, and the only reason that i don't do that as much as i want to do is because of the lack of equipement. I currently own a Canon T3i with a 18-135 kit lens and a Manfrotto 055xprob tripod.

What most annoys me with that gear is:
1- The slow focus from both the camera and this lens.
2- Few focus point (9).
3- Ultra high noise in iso above 800. I barely move the iso from 100, except when its absolutely needed.
4- 18mm is not enough wide wise for me (in a crop sensor).
5- 135mm is not enough range for me in some cases.
6- The lack of an external flash for some shots.

The reason i chose Nikon over Canon is simple: My dad has a d7000 and some lenses (70-300, 17-35/2.8, 18-200) and i want to share the new lenses with him, and also use his camera as a backup camera when i need (and let him use mine when he needs).

So, lets get to the point.

I am gonna need:
- A full frame camera.
- A good ultra wide lens
- A good long range lens
- A decent all around lens
- A good flash
- A good macro lens (thats for my dad, he is paying for that, so don't count it in my budget)
- A good Bag to carry all this lol

I have something around 9k dollars to spend in USA with that, so iam thinking to visit B&H store in NY while i am in there (i am from Brazil, i will be travelling to USA in october, will stay around 10 days there).

I did some research within the last few months, and, at least for now, what i've decided is that:

Camera:
D810 ($3,300)
- Low noise with ultra high iso; 51 AF points; 36mp (not that important, but sometimes i need to crop my frames a lot); Good and fast AF system; 14.8 EV Dynamic Range (i really liked that); and the 64 native ISO (i am a big fan of low iso). A little expensivem but still within my budget.

Lenses:
AFS 14-24mm 2.8G ED AF ($2,000)
- I believe this is the ultra wide lens with the most incredible positive reviews i've read. Incredible image quality, ultra sharp, very few distortion. The only issue is the lack of filters and some people say that you will get flares if you let the sun hit the glass. I think there is no other competitors for this lens.

AFS 70-200mm F/4G ED VR ($1400)
- My dad has a 70-300 f/4.5-5.6, but i dont believe it will match the performance of the 70-200 f/4 in terms of focus speed, image quality and bokeh. What do you guys think? Should i save here and use his lens when i need or buy this one? Honestly, i would like to buy the f/2.8 version, but my budget wont allow me, since it cost the double of this one.

AFS 24-120mm F/4G ED VR ($1300)
-I need a good all around lens for skateboards events such as championships, downhill events, etc. Basically for every kind of event that i can't control the distance or the path of the rider.

AFS 50mm f/1.4G ($430)
- I would love to have a nifty fifty in my bag, but i dont think i will be able to fit that into my budget right now. I can buy one here later.

AFS VR Micro 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED ($899)
- I dont know too much about macros, but i read only good things about this one. (Remember this one wont be into my budget, since my dad is going to pay for it)

Flash:
SB 910 Essential Portrait Kit ($556)
- I need a durable one, and it must have TTL function. I think that's all. I dont know other flash brands very well, so i dont know if they are really reliable. What do i need to use this as an off-camera flash?

Flash batteries:
Watson 8-bay rapid charger kit with 8 AA 2300mAh ($42)
- I dont know anything about batteries, can someone recomend this brand? Or any other?

Camera Battery:
Nikon EN-EL15 1900mAh ($45)
- Any recommendations on other brands?

Bag:I dont know yet, need to decided what gear i will buy first, but something around $200 will be fine i guess. I would like something that has a waterproof cape or something like that.

All prices were based on B&H store.
I am open to suggestions. Sorry for the really long post.

Sounds like you already researched and answered your own question.

Personally I dont know any macro lens thats really all around satisfying, the Nikon 105mm is said to have too many CA problems. The Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro VC seems to be the superior option. However Nikon just discontiued the old AF 200mm f4 micro, so maybe we'll get the "perfect" macro lens soon ?

About the 50mm, you might want to look at the new Sigma 50mm f1.4 "Art". Curiously, the 50mm f1.4 just got discontinued as well, so maybe theres a successor on the way too.

But as others already said - the setup you provided is already really good, either way.

For me, I would drop the 50mm. You have it covered. I know I just wouldn't use it enough to be worthwhile.

buy used, save half your budget. I'd probably choose a completely different list of equipment myself.

Personally I dont know any macro lens thats really all around satisfying, the Nikon 105mm is said to have too many CA problems. The Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro VC seems to be the superior option. However Nikon just discontiued the old AF 200mm f4 micro, so maybe we'll get the "perfect" macro lens soon ?

About the 50mm, you might want to look at the new Sigma 50mm f1.4 "Art". Curiously, the 50mm f1.4 just got discontinued as well, so maybe theres a successor on the way too.

But as others already said - the setup you provided is already really good, either way.

I've read good things about it, but it costs $949 on B&H, it wont fit my budget :/

For me, I would drop the 50mm. You have it covered. I know I just wouldn't use it enough to be worthwhile.

I think i will, at least for now.

buy used, save half your budget. I'd probably choose a completely different list of equipment myself.

Where do you recomend to buy used? I am not going to stay there very long (around 10 days), and i am afraid to buy these kind of things online and dont receive it on time... Also, i dont know how to pay in that case, because i wont have a lot of money with me, only credit/debit card. Does Ebay accept credit/debit card?

2- Few focus point (9).
3- Ultra high noise in iso above 800. I barely move the iso from 100, except when its absolutely needed.

1. Pre-focus manually on a spot where the skater will be.
2. (see above)
3. Use more light.
4. Obtain different lenses.
5. (see above)
6. Obtain flash.

Where do you recomend to buy used? I am not going to stay there very long (around 10 days), and i am afraid to buy these kind of things online and dont receive it on time... Also, i dont know how to pay in that case, because i wont have a lot of money with me, only credit/debit card. Does Ebay accept credit/debit card?

Adorama and B&H both have used departments.

2- Few focus point (9).

1. Pre-focus manually on a spot where the skater will be.
2. (see above)
3. Use more light.
4. Obtain different lenses.
5. (see above)
6. Obtain flash.

1. That's impossible in some cases, like in championships or downhill events, you just dont know what trick and when the rider will do it.
2. I need more focus point to be able to compose better, including the situations where i know what the rider will do.
3. Its impossible sometimes, like in sunset or sunrise, when i am already shooting open wide and i need a high shutter speed to freeze the action, and the rider. The only option is to increase the iso.
4. Thats the point of the thread hehe
5. -
6. Thats another point of the thread :p

Anyway, thanks for your opnion

Last edited:
For macro, you can look for the reviews of the "Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro 1:1".
I have it and love it.

Here some sample shots with it:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruimc/sets/72157643820222145/

In the 70-200 2.8 space, the "Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD" is a realiable option as well.

Here some samples with it:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruimc/sets/72157641188279093/

Tamron apparently have some auto-focus issues in low light conditions... I dont know how much i can trust in this kind of reviews, but i rather take the nikon version because of that. I really need to count on a reliable auto-focus system.

no it doesnt.

Tamron apparently have some auto-focus issues in low light conditions... I dont know how much i can trust in this kind of reviews, but i rather take the nikon version because of that. I really need to count on a reliable auto-focus system.

It's up to you. Do what's best for you.
What I can tell you is that I never experimented such issues, at all. I use the new updated version of this lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back