Help me decide between the 750 & 810!

Reyna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently have the D600. I want to upgrade b/c I need a good backup camera. Right now my backup is the 7000 and I had to use it the other day & the quality is just not there.

I can't decide between the 810 and 750. What are the cons of the 810? They only one I can think of is that the megapixels would take up a ton of space on my computer, but I'm not too worried about that b/c I back up to an external hard drive.

What do you guys think?

Thank you!
Holly

Holly , I would think either of those would probably relegate your D600 to the back-up camera . I shoot all except the D600 , so I'm just saying . Btw I still shoot my D7000 and am always impressed by what this little gem can produce . MP wise the D810 files are quite big , but I have toms of ram and really no issue at all . Yes storage is cheap nowadays . Rent the bodies , shoot with them for a day or two , that will make your mind better than what anyone says here . :)

D7000

Verdi's-3 by manny herreria, on Flickr

D810 is obviously an excellent camera, if money is not an issue then why not get it.
But the D750 has few advantages over the D810
1.Price
2.Better high ISO performance (not a huge improvement but its better).
3.Slightly better AF system
4.Smaller
5.Lighter
6.Smaller size files

Both are excellent cameras that can produce great results if used with decent competence.

D810:
+ More Resolution, Dynamic Range, Color Depth
+ Base ISO 64 (can collect more light for better noise to signal)
+ Shutter Speed 1/8000 sec (can operate longer without ND filter)
+ Flash Sync 1/250 sec (better at killing ambient light)
+ Larger AF Field Size
+ More Direct Controls (AF-ON etc)

D750:
+ High ISO
+ Flipscreen
+ Fast Mode Selection through direct dial
+ Memory Recall (U1/U2)
+ Slightly better AF especially also in low light; reportedly can handle f/9 lenses (instead of just f/8)
+ Size/Weight/Grip
+ Dual Card Slot of SAME Type

I would say the D750 is the slightly more general camera that offers faster operation, good low ISO, more compactness and less weight, while the D810 is more aimed at studio/landscape/tripod operation for maximum performance and image quality.

Seems like you do a lot of family photography (no weddings from your webpage).
So I'd recommend the d810.

I have a d600 and had a d7000. I know what you mean about the d7000. I wish I had a d7100 at the time instead for comparison.

But I've always wanted the d750 for other reasons (flippy screen is helpful for astrophotography), smaller/lighter and it uses all the accessories of my d600. The d8x0 may need new accessories dependent upon the plug type. Plus the dual card slot of the same type.

The D500 is better for videography with 4k movie resolution, the 810 only makes 1080 movies.

Last edited:
The 750 is better for videography with 4k movie resolution, the 810 only makes 1080 movies.
I believe you are mistaking the D750 doesnt have 4K video, only Nikon DSLR that have 4K are the D500 and D5

I mis typed the camera name, oops. :)

Only you can tell. Do you need resolution or not? Do you need flip screen or not?
The D810 is better. The D750 is more flexible. Both are excellent modern cameras.

If you don't feel limited by the d600 then both are higher end than what you own. From limited use I can't see anything the d750 has letting down all but a very few enthusiasts, its a very good all in one package

buy (2) more D600s... at ~$800 each they make ideal backup candidates.

Thank you all very much!! I think I'm going to go with the 810. I've been wanting it and It's not THAT much more, right? Trying to justify. I don't shoot many weddings, mostly family/newborn/studio. Here's my webpage www.cstheday.com

Thank you all very much!! I think I'm going to go with the 810. I've been wanting it and It's not THAT much more, right? Trying to justify. I don't shoot many weddings, mostly family/newborn/studio. Here's my webpage www.cstheday.com

Well if budget is a concern have you considered going with a good used or refurbished D800?

Most reactions

Back