Help me decide if I should upgrade!

vigilante

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We have a Nikon D5100 whose role is at the prosumer level. In other words, it's used for casual family stuff and events, but is also used for product photography for the store. It is not used in a pro studio or for portraits, etc.

As you might know, the D5100 is 4 or 5 years old now, but still shows up in the Nikon lineup. It has been superseded by 3 models, the D5200, D5300, and D5500.

All three of the upgraded models jump to 24mp while my D5100 is at 16. Also the D5100 is on EXPEED 2, the 5200 on EXPEED 3, and the 5300 and 5500 on EXPEED 4. They gain an increase in focus points as well as a huge jump in ISO.

The D5300 has the interesting inclusion of both WIFI and GPS built in. The D5500 removes the GPS and adds a touchscreen display. The LCDs also are larger and higher resolution than my 5100.

Based on the increase of megapixels, higher res and size LCD, WIFI, EXPEED 4, focus points, and more, I think an upgrade may be a worthy investment, but I can't be sure.

For similar prices, I could get a D7100 maybe, maybe used? That's what people are saying. But the main reason I want to stay with the D5x series is for the popout swivel LCD. That is most helpful when filming, or getting some interesting angles when holding the camera high or low. I've found it very useful, but not sure if simply having a popout LCD is a big enough reason to stay with the D5x series or jump a little more in pro cameras. The D7100 is still a DX, so really not sure if there is much benefit over the D5500?

All that said, the D5500 is the newest in the series, having just come out recently. There isn't a single picture on Flickr using it yet, so not sure if I should buy something so new, or if the D5300 is actually the best deal, with most specs being the same as the D5500 except for GPS and touchscreen.

Obviously, the question is whether my 5100 is "good enough", or whether I'd see a really good bump up in performance and quality with the upgrade. My guess is that the 16 to 24mp jump with EXPEED 4 should create a noticeable improvement right? Also the upgraded models remove the built-in low pass filter, which is supposed to let you get even sharper images.

If I had the D5200, I'd already have 24mp and EXPEED 3 at least, I'd probably stay put. But with the D5100, the extras look very promising.

What say you?

This is what I like to see. Sensible consideration about upgrading!

The reason to upgrade is when your current gear is limiting your ability to take the photographs you require. Unfortunately people fall into the trap of feeling their cameras are inferior because newer models are available and that they are somehow missing out on something. From what you're describing the D5100 is as suitable for you now as it ever was in the image making department.

Having said that, if having the tilt screen to facilitate getting shots from certain angles is going to make a big difference to you, then I would say go with it. If it means not having to get down on your knees, strain your back or neck, then it's worth it. The D7100 isn't going to bring you any more benefits for your photography. Sure it's a great camera, weather sealed, advanced focus system, focus motor, etc, etc.. However, it'd be like buying a Greyhound bus just to drop your kids off at school. Overkill.

A camera is just a tool and you need only pick the right one for the task at hand.

What is your budget for the upgrade?

From what you're describing the D5100 is as suitable for you now as it ever was in the image making department.

I'd like to think that. I'm positive that I'm not skilled enough to draw out the best pictures from the D5100, I know I can get better with better light and maybe better glass too. Regardless, the larger LCD, huge jump in MP, focus points, removed low pass filter, much higher ISO, EXPEED 4, sounds like it would be a noticeable improvement, not just a few insignificant fringe updates.

For the same price, I could just as easily get a new lens or two instead, sure. But then I have to ask, do the updates of the D5500 outweigh (in quality) the updates of slightly better glass? Or should I spend that money on a pile of flashes, lights, boxes and dodads?

All I'm looking for is to create the best possible product shots at this point. The camera is already awesome for casual shooting with the family.

As for the budget, well it is "as needed". Whatever can bring noticeable improvements is probably worth it, within reason. We don't need to create a $6000 studio! I'm getting ready to buy a couple flashes and boxes, stands, flags, etc. I do wonder about the camera tho.

If you've been happy with the image quality from the camera and current lenses, then I would say look at some decent lighting equipment. When you start playing with modifiers you can really transform an image. You can start with Yongnuo speedlites, which are fabulous for the money, although if you are doing product shots, I definitely would recommend a monolight with lamp. Look at the Alien Bees B400. Great bang for buck. Get some Balcar to Bowens adapters and you can use all the generic modifiers from eBay, which are significantly cheaper.

I couldn't agree more with what AKUK has posted.
If you feel the need to expand and spend,go with lighting equipment and a little lighting education.
Far more versatility than a new body.

D5100 is a pretty basic camera but it housing the D7000 excellent Sony sensor.
I don't expect you to get a noticeable better IQ or better low light performance if you move to a more modern crop sensor Nikon camera.
You will get a better AF system but it seems like that's not so important to you unless you do sports or moving subject photography.
If you want a real improvement in low light performance then get an FX camera like the D610 or D750
If you are itching to get a D5300 or D5500 then you don't need our approval and there is nothing wrong with it but if you want a real noticeable improvement in picture quality you will not get it.
I moved from the D7100 to FX D750 and main improvement was low light, IQ really is too close for me to feel if between these 2 cameras.

Last edited:
Keep d5100, add some lights, reflectors etc. Sounds like you are not pushing any limits on your d5100. 16mp is loads for most things, image quality improvement on newer crop nikons is minimal

Sounds good.

I went as basic as I can and just picked up a couple cheap strobes with small 8" softbox covers. I can use my existing low power lamps as fills and see if this does the trick.

Even though that's cheap, I think I want to focus next on upgraded glass. I have two kit lenses, the Nikkor AF-S 18-55 1:3.5-5.6G and then a 55-200 1:4-5.6G with VR.

I'm debating grabbing a prime lens like 35, 40, or 50 for travels and casual outdoor shooting and so forth. I've heard lots of good things about keeping a "nifty 50" in the bag. I've also heard that a 35mm equivalent is the best when you want photos that look the most like what humans really see in terms of field of view. Then others rage about the middle ground, a 40mm, best of both worlds.

On a DX 1.5x crop camera like D5100, what is the most "natural human view" lens for casual shooting? Or is a 40 or 50 better for general work and casual portraits? I don't like lugging around two different zoom lenses for casual travels, so I figure a single prime might be handy for most jobs. I don't know!

For DX, either the Sigma 30m f/1.4, the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G, or the Nikkor 40mm f/2.8G will be great for casual and general shooting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back