Help me decide?

Hardrock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently shoot a dlsr rebel xt and I've decided to get the canon 50mm over the 85mm but is the canon 50mm 1.4f worth the $250 more than the 50mm 1.8f. I'm prepared to spend the money but I also could use the money to get a flash. What do yu guys think?

The 50mm F1.8 is a decent lens at a great price.

Would the 50mm F1.4 be worth the extra $250...to me? Yes, absolutely.

Thanks for the input! Is it mostly the clairity that makes it better or larger aperature or both? I guess I really dont know what to expect!

I really wanted to pick up the 50mm 1.4 but I got the 1.8 for "free", so what the hell huh? If it were up to me I'd pay the extra 250 though. Larger max. aperture, better construction, also USM ( for faster AF ) I wanted it for the USM alone, the 1.8 can focus very slow at times .. especially under low light. Just search for comparisons, youll find everything from build quality to bokeh.

Cool, congrats on the decision.. I dont think youll regret it.

Hey guys, noob over here! I have a basic understanding for aperature and it's importance for the amount of light you get, but can someone explain how a .4 difference is worth a few hundred more dollars? Thanks!

Hey guys, noob over here! I have a basic understanding for aperature and it's importance for the amount of light you get, but can someone explain how a .4 difference is worth a few hundred more dollars? Thanks!

Also as you get into wider f-stops (lower numbers) the numerical difference has a much bigger impact on it due to the fact youre dealing with a cirlcle...( pi equations and all that ) i.e. - f11 lets in twice the light of f16 ( difference of 5 ).. but f2.8 lets in twice as much light as f4 ( only a difference of 1.2 ) my bad if I'm wrong about anything here.. long night last night and don't even know why Im awake right now :confused: haha... idealy someone will reiterate :D

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back