help me do this better

8ball

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot this tonight iso 100 shutter 15 f stop.5.6
DSC_0106.jpg

Try a shutter speed more around 1/125 and mount the camera on a tripod or other stable surface. The moon is actually quite bright.

thanks! i had it on a tripod

You can only expose the moon for 8 seconds at a time. If you expose for more than 8 seconds you will start to notice movement. I suggest a slightly smaller aperture also to cut back on the harshness of light. Try f/8 and work from there.

.... and it's fast too. Much below 1/125s motion blur starts to creep in because of the moons' speed of travel.

THIS ONE was shot at 1/125s, f/8, ISO200

Is f/5.6 your sharpest aperture?

Last edited:
Umm, according to the exif data, you actually shot that at ISO 100, F16 and 20sec exposure. Way too long. You actually need a very short exposure time for the moon.

Here's a short blogpost about shooting the moon: The Moon

Umm, according to the exif data, you actually shot that at ISO 100, F16 and 20sec exposure. Way too long. You actually need a very short exposure time for the moon.

Here's a short blogpost about shooting the moon: The Moon

Where are you getting that? My EXIF viewer's showing me 1/3"...

thanks everyone!

Kundalini 5.6 was lowest i could get it down to i dont know why it wouldnt let me go lower

You're backwards.... Lower is f/8 or f/16. You can't go *higher* than f/5.6 because you are zoomed all the way in. But that's ok, because you want to go lower.

275 mm
f/7.1
1/50 s
iso 100

4992087716_486125c00e_b.jpg

The moon is lighted by the fiery orb we call the Sun. Honest, it is. A sunlight exposure is what is desired. Slow exposures will lead to blurring. Long exposures will lead to gross over-exposure of the sunlighted moon.

it all makes sence now i was putting the whole night time setting into effect
i am goign to re shoot it tonight

so you suggest a an iso between 100 and 200 and f stop of between F8 and f 16 and a fast shutter Ie: 1/3, 1/125? sound about right?

what should my white blance be ( nikon D3000) i can choose bewteen direct sun, clouds, florecent lights, and shade

Most reactions

Back