help me edit waterfall!

3545657111_21d46c0f75_o.jpg

Here's a quick edit:
3545657111_21d46c0f75_o.jpg

Opened your 2nd image in ACR and made some adjustments, then to Photoshop and a couple curves adjustment layers for exposure and contrast. I didn't do any sharpening at all. Unfortunate, blown is blown and not recoverable. With digital you always want to expose for the highlights. Spot metering makes that easier.

cOps, good idea with the cloning.:thumbup:

yeah thanks guys, i think i'm going to go back tomorrow at around 7/730 when the tun should be makin its way down. al i have is the CP and a UV filter though...

shifted the WB to warmer to give depth of water. turned down the exposure. crushed blacks.

polarize filter would help w/ glares. ND filter will help w/ the overexposed pictures.
fmiduf.jpg

I would strongly urge you to go back to the scene and re-shoot on an overcast day. This will eliminate the need for ND filtration and greatly ease contrast problems.

And watch the composition! Straight-on may not be the best way to frame this particular waterfall. See if you can work your way to the side.

Example of overcast light and contrast control:

Snapshot #1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

in case no one said it...the water falling does look good...very smooth.

and like others have said, ND filter is the way to go...

Sorry for the noob question but can a p&s camera capture pics like this???

wmflyfisher;

The waterfall picture and my linked example were made with shutter speeds slow enough to blur the water and [hopefully] inhance the 'feeling' of flow. A very high shutter speed will 'freeze' the water, giving a different feeling to the shot.

P&S cameras may, depending on the particular rig, provide a means to out-guess the on-board 'puter and use a slower-than-normal shutter speed.

Thanks Torus. The rig in question would be a Canon SD880IS. Not really sure if it's possible but I would love to give it a shot. I have several waterfalls right outside my door because I live on site at a state park!

wmflyfisher;

Your rig can be run in manual mode. Your shutter speed range is huge. You should be able to duplicate my waterfall shot precisely. Do use a tripod or find something solid for a camera rest.

Try shooting on an overcast day with a shutter speed of about 1/5 second for a start. [If necessary, wait for late afternoon to drop the amount of light still further and permit smaller lens openings for good depth of field.] Then go up or down in speed as required to get the effect you want.

The technical part is a cinch.

But composition? Man, that's hard work!

Good luck.

I really appreciate the help T. That should get me started. I've been trying to decide on a Canon SD series and you have just made up my mind.

Now I have to look into composition! Thanks again!

Most reactions

Back