Help me find the right digital camera.

kidsplayingsoccer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking for a small digital camera with all of the capabilities of a manual 35mm camera. I wan't to be able to focus manually, adjust f-stop manually (on the lens, ideally, like a film camera), adjust shutter speed manually (again, I'd like it to be on the camera body if possible). Basically, I want a totally manual camera that happens to take digital pictures. Price range from $1,000-5,000 USD but I'd like to know all possibilities (e.g., if there are some that are more expensive). Are there cameras like this? Are what I ask for (like the very "physical" manual features) simply stylistic choices? That is, I don't want to buy a camera that happens to be highly stylized at the expense of its functionality. Ultimately, I'd like the pictures to be of the best possible quality. It's just that I've been taking pictures on completely manual film cameras for all of my life (Nikon FM10, e.g.) and really like the control it gives. Really like that feeling that I'm entirely responsible for the photo that I see. Thanks very much for all of your help!

Just about the entire lineup of Nikon D-SLR cameras besides the D3x is in reach for your budget and they all will shoot in "M".
What type of shooting are you planning on shooting?

How about posting up some of your film work so we can better decide!

Thanks so much for your reply. Will try to get around to posting some pics ASAP. What are everybody's thoughts on the Leica rangefinders? Might that be a difficult transition from the style of zoom/focus I'm used to with an SLR? Of course, it depends on what I'm taking pictures of. But, really, I like to be capable of taking pictures of anything that interests me. Who doesn't?

(I'm aware that I might have better luck learning about the Leicas by simply searching the forum, but thought I'd ask here as well.)

Thanks again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back