Help me get a great set of lenses for 5D Mark II - studio

bdubbs79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a 5D II and started off with the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM II as I loved the first version. I had the 24-105mm F/4 and didn't like it so i got rid of it and am considering many options. to test out some after a lot of reading and reviewing, I have the 50mm f/1.2 from canon and canon 24-70 F/2.8 on the way to compliment the 70-200mm

Does this sound like a good mix for a studio doing head shots and family portraits? If not, please give me some feedback. I was considering the canon 85 mm f/1.2 instead of the 50mm or even getting 3 primes 24 or 35mm with a 50 or 85mm and a 100 or 135 and the 70-200 but it seems like overkill...

but adding a 85mm 1.8II might be something for fun in low light for basketball games or is the 70-200 IS USM II all I need? I prefer to get very low light lenses but am interested to get feedback on other people's experiences... enough with testing and pro reviews right?

Also if you have suggestions on your favorite lighting kits, please reply with them. I was thinking of 2 softboxes and a 580EXII mounted or not mounted for direct light back or diffused. I could use some suggestions in there though and a RF for the slaves. Lighting is my weakness and I've done mostly outdoor shooting to this point.

Thanks so much.
b

i didn't mention that I had seen a lot of wonderful feedback on the 85mm 1.2 but thought I have it covered in my 70-200mm so I would prefer a 1.2 in the 50mm range instead. Who has done portraiture in both and what results?

I heard good things about Sigma 85mm 1.4 and it costs significantly less.

Most reactions

Back