Help me get up and running... or atleast walking!

abstractvision

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I feel a little bit overwhelmed reading everything on these forums; Technical words, camera equipment etc...

I'll introduce myself and then you can help lil' me out.. please.

I've never really had a hobby. I've always dipped in and out of taking photos, but i didn't really class that as a hobby.

Recently, I've been really ill, i wasn't really into anything. I suppose finding my old camera re-lighted the fondness i had when taking photographs, i felt a wide spread of positive emotions and the feeling of achievement- well, i something I've never really felt before capturing images.

BUT there is a problem, i feel is making me nervous about starting again...

I font really have a clue

the camera, the lens, the terminology, wow...

I just need that foot up, a voice to point out which is the best direction for a beginner to restart her hobby and get the best out of it.

I want to do something i can be proud of and also keep me healthy.

So if a photography who is a hobbyists in this form of art, or anyone really can help me, i would be completely grateful.

Look forward to hearing responses and to be really honest i can't wait to get back into it.

THANKYOU IN ADVANCE :D

xo

If you stick to the big brands - Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, Olympus - they do not make bad cameras.

I would go for a cheaper SLR camera from one of those makers. You will read negative comments from people about the kit lenses that come with the cameras but they are fine (just not as good as a lens costing 1000s). Once you have experience of using your new camera you will be in a position to tell yourself what your camera/lens is lacking for you.

If you are careful with your kit, you can sell it when you want to upgrade so the cost of your first camera is not a complete write-off.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

Do you want to buy stuff or use your own camera? I'm not 100% sure from reading.

Welcome to tpf

There's loads of good knowledgeable people here who are happy to help. Just ask

Welcome to the forum

If reading on the forum here confuses you some with terminology. There are tons of videos on the internet that can be very useful. Especially if you watch videos on your specific camera, and you have it in your hands while watching! Youtube is full of videos on many cameras, or even specific subjects / terms. Also some of the manufacturers has videos on their cameras.

Don't get caught up in all this technobabble ... especially, don't read any discussions about what camera is better ... waste of time for most hobby photographers.
Any interchangeable lens camera you can get today will be good enough as a hobby.

Honestly, I got my start on "serious" photography by reading all the crazy entries on www.youarenotaphotographer.com It's hilarious, so it's fun to look at, but if you read the comments from readers under the photos, they'll often give detailed critique about everything the photographer did wrong. When they would mention a technique or term that I didn't understand, I'd look it up. Eventually I had enough of a basis in "good vs bad" that some of the more technical photography books were able to hold my attention.

Even if that strategy doesn't really work for you, the website's still fun to look at. :p The most important thing to start with is the exposure triangle. Read everything you can about it until it starts to make sense to you. Then get your camera (does it have manual and semi-manual modes, P A S and M?) and practice and practice until you get it. Expect your understanding of exposure to grow and develop along with your understanding of light. After exposure, I'd focus on composition. If you can get exposure and composition, then you concentrate on details: sharpness, colors, depth of field, post processing, etc. And once you master all of that, you end up going back to where it started: Light. Light is the beginning and end of everything in photography. You can become a master of every technical aspect, but everyone is a student of light. When you stop learning about light, you stop growing as a photographer.

Go out and shoot and have fun.
Don't worry about the techno babble
As you improve and learn more then You'll understand more.

But go out and shoot
And you can post here for critique and comment on how to improve.
And have fun doing it.

Welcome aboard. Don't worry about it too much.

Most reactions

Back