Help me pick a editing program for my Mac.

It was slow, the tools seemed kind of ho-hum - not terribly technical or sophisticated. I feel a lot with RAW processors that there is a level of bull**** enshrouding the processing. I like being able to manipulate image data by more primitive means. Even the "color temperature slider" kind of irks me, I see it as a sort of mask to make me feel better about what's going on.

CaptureOne wasn't terrible, mind you. It just wasn't really technical enough for me.

... trying out Silky now. standby...

Have you looked into the one from Bibble? It's interesting - if not downright bizarre.
---

my first, 10 minute impressions on silky is that it's not what I had hoped it was. The tool I was most excited about was the hue/sat color wheel, I hoped could add arbitrary points and manipulate feather. It's a cool interface, but just isn't what I'd hoped for.

That said, holy guacamole! that thing produces AMAZINGLY sharp results.

Last edited:
I used CS5 extended for the past year. Few weeks ago I picked up Lightroom 4.2 (absolutely hate it). Upgraded to CS6 and there are a few things I have to get used like the main controls (adding shadowing etc) but i do like how it's no longer just an outside diameter. I prefer the solid interface.

On my MBA, I generally find Aperture is my favorite. On my big, heavily powered PC desktop I use LR and CS6. But honestly I probably do 95% of my editing on my macbook air and aperture, and I edit a LOT of photos. I've never really had an issue, and I even load my library via a fairly slow external HD. The only sluggishness Aperture has is 100% due to my slow external HD (really need to upgrade that thing, like a month ago).

On my MBA, I generally find Aperture is my favorite. On my big, heavily powered PC desktop I use LR and CS6. But honestly I probably do 95% of my editing on my macbook air and aperture, and I edit a LOT of photos. I've never really had an issue, and I even load my library via a fairly slow external HD. The only sluggishness Aperture has is 100% due to my slow external HD (really need to upgrade that thing, like a month ago).
Are you running Mountain Lion 10.8.2? I don't know if Aperture is supported by the latest OS.

Are you running Mountain Lion 10.8.2? I don't know if Aperture is supported by the latest OS.

Yes. Apple is pretty fanatic about supporting their own software with their own operating systems.

Yes. Apple is pretty fanatic about supporting their own software with their own operating systems.
Great, thanks. I think I will check into Aperture then.

I used CS5 extended for the past year. Few weeks ago I picked up Lightroom 4.2 (absolutely hate it). Upgraded to CS6 and there are a few things I have to get used like the main controls (adding shadowing etc) but i do like how it's no longer just an outside diameter. I prefer the solid interface.
CS5's Camera Raw and Lightroom 3's Develop module use ACR 6. ACR 6 uses Process Version 2010 (PV2010).

CS6's Camera Raw and Lightroom 4's Develop module use ACR 7 which is PV 2012. In other words Adobe made some major changes going from PV 2010 (ACR 6) to PV 2012 (ACR 7).

Most reactions

Back