TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a few things in a camera:
1) crisp photos with good color
2) excellent low light performance
3) fast shutter speed with decent fps rate
4) compact (micro four thirds size or around there)
5) possibly looking for interchangeable lenses but not sure
6) easily accessible manual controls

I'm not a pro, I am a graphic designer by trade and have had photography classes in the past so I'm familiar with general pro camera terms.

I am looking for a camera to document my road trips and life in general. I'd like something that fits the list above. While I don't want to make a living off photography, I want a respectable camera for what my money can get. I don't want to drop a lot so looking for $800 or less.

My friend who is a professional photographer recommended the DMC-LX5. He also mentioned the DMC-x10.

From my own research I was considering the:
Panasonic DMC-GX1
Canon T3i
Nikon D3100
Sony A35
Sony NEX-5n

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Op: if you want a dslr, something like a Nikon d3100 would be a good start. Or a canon t3i.

As far as micro 4/3, I don't know much about them other than that Panasonic makes some decent ones from what I hear. They tend to lack good manual controls though, and require a little menu digging.

As far as advanced point and shoots go, look into the canon g12 and the Nikon p7100. Those are some awesome little cameras for the size and money.

Destin, looks like Canon just announced the g1x which looks to replace the g12, looks like it will have a monster sensor for the type of camera it is!

EIngerson said:
I caught all of it. Did you happen to catch my sarcasm? Didn't think so.

Yeah. There was so much sarcasm in the way you typed that. So many smily faces. So many bold words. So so so many clues were there to tell me you were being sarcastic.

NOT!! -__-

EIngerson said:
I caught all of it. Did you happen to catch my sarcasm? Didn't think so.

Yeah. There was so much sarcasm in the way you typed that. So many smily faces. So many bold words. So so so many clues were there to tell me you were being sarcastic.

NOT!! -__-

You're right, the 1DX camparison wasn't enough.

Since you mentioned that interchangable lenses might not be an necessity, a advanced bridge camera offers you a lot for your money. The Nikon Coolpix P500 has a 36x optical zoom lens, manual, aperture, shutter, and auto settings, has AF, manual, micro, focus, as well as a pretty full menu of options. Costs new about $430 or so.

I would vote for the new Canon PowerShot G1 X.

I HOPE Nikon's P7100 upgrade will be as good!

Too many good opitons out there. :)

Currently debating about:
Pentax Q
Nikon V1 (amazingly fast AF)
LX5 (current favorite)
Canon PowerShot G1 X (nice big senson)

Most reactions

Back