Help me plan this portrait shoot..?

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys I've got a really rare opportunity to shoot a portrait session in a local historical building. It's an abandoned opera house that is partially restored, but retains much of the original petina. This opportunity is likely once in a lifetime as they'll be completing the restoration and it'll never have the abandoned, rustic look again.

I'll be shooting with a female dancer, which fits the setting well with the stage, etc. I've never actually been in the building, and won't be able to scout it prior to the shoot. It's going to be a lot of winging it and hoping for the best.

I've attached the only photo I have of the interior. I'm looking for some inspiration here.. poses, lighting, themes, etc..

Any input or ideas would be appreciated, though I know there is only so much you can help with the information provided.

i-tmP8tmC-S.jpg

Lighting or no lighting? If yes, studio strobes or speed lights? How many?

Lighting for sure. I have 4 speed lights, all with wireless abilities.

2 octaboxes (28 inch, 42 inch) and a variety of umbrellas.

Assuming it's equally bright when you shoot, I would definitely try some slow shutter, ambient only shots on the stage using the window light to get some movement, and I would probably try some fairly traditional stuff too, using the lights to bring out some of the texture from the the back wall.

I think mostly what I would do would be to place her in the large, open areas and light her using one or two lights on her and the other 2-3 bringing out the details of the background; chairs, architectural features, and whatever else. I'm seeing a series where she's relatively small in the frame, nicely, but dramatically lit, with faint hints of the grandeur of the building all around her.

I see lots of grids in your future, and more lights; beg, borrow or steal another half-dozen or so lights and don't forget a long ladder and ALL your grip gear. I could see using every Magic Arm and clamp I own doing this.

Looks pretty bare to me. Is there going to be any scenery or curtains? Do you have to provide a backdrop or props?

I can envision some slow-speed, tripod-mounted shots where you expose for the ambient lighting, but light the model/subject with an electronic flash unit of some type. But of course "it all depends" on the lighting that is there when the shoot happens; maybe there will be more opportunity for ambient shots?

I dunno...do what you can!

I can't appreciate the depth of the stage from this photo. My immediate thought is to keep some space between her and the back wall, so I'm guessing you'll need to light her. I might do some with her out on the floor with stage in the background, showing enough of the room to know what sort of place it is. Maybe bring along a simple wooden chair as a prop. Ask your model to bring a costume change or two, varying style and color. For some reason, I'm thinking leotard.

I suspect you'll have a bunch of fun with this.

-Pete

Most reactions

Back