help me understand macro lenses

theregoesjb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I understand that they are good for photographing sharp images of very small things, I thought this was their main purpose but I have also seen some great landscape pictures taken with a 17-70mm macro lens (according to Jeffrey's Exif viewer).

are macro lenses good for either or would a non-macro lens (regular lens?) of a similar mm be more suited for landscape?

So, if i were in the market for a decent lens of around that mm range would i be just as well off to get a macro lens and benefit from the added bonus of getting those tight detail shots?

thanks

thanks that was really helpful, and in that article there is a link to another article about using reversal rings for shooting snow flakes which was doubly interesting.

Macro lenses are generally very good optically for any purpose. Their only drawback for non-macro work (other than extra weight) is that they are designed to focus at shorter distances and can be a little slower to focus at long distances.

I understand that they are good for photographing sharp images of very small things, I thought this was their main purpose but I have also seen some great landscape pictures taken with a 17-70mm macro lens (according to Jeffrey's Exif viewer).

are macro lenses good for either or would a non-macro lens (regular lens?) of a similar mm be more suited for landscape?

So, if i were in the market for a decent lens of around that mm range would i be just as well off to get a macro lens and benefit from the added bonus of getting those tight detail shots?

thanks

If it's a 17-70 , it's probably not a true 1:1 macro lens.
True 1:1 's are fixed focal length

Keep in mind that the word 'Macro' gets tossed around pretty easily.

The Sigma 17-40mm: "Close focusing down to only 8” away for a 1:2.3 magnification which is approximately ½ life size"
That's not a true 'Macro' lens to me. A True Macro lens will be able to get you 1:1 (life size) magnification.

If you want something that can get you 'close up'...there are many options, some will be labeled as 'Macro' lenses. If you want true Macro, you will have to check the specs.

And yes, for the most part, a Macro lens (true 1:1 or not) can be used for landscape, portraiture or anything else.

Caught that before you. lol

Where's my cookie?

I rarely use my macro lens for true macro work. I find it to be an ideal portrait lens. It is a Nikkor 105mm VR Micro btw, super nice on FX.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back