Status
Not open for further replies.

SilliG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
HELP!

Well hello I am new to this forum. I have been shooting my D90 w/ 50mm 1.8 for awhile now on auto mostly and a bit on Aperture Priority. I ordered my new Nikon D800 it came in yesterday. I am pretty thrown off by the controls on the camera to start off with but now there is no AUTO mode?? Is there anyway to shoot on auto in the meantime while I learn to shoot manually. I know I spent 3k and I know nothing about photography. Well I always wanted full frame and I work hard for my money and want to get the full potential out of this new body. I am a hobbist not a pro and a noob. Thts why I have been shooting on Auto mostly my crutch has gone. Someone please help me or send me a tutorial!!

SilliG said:
HELP!

Well hello I am new to this forum. I have been shooting my D90 w/ 50mm 1.8 for awhile now on auto mostly and a bit on Aperture Priority. I ordered my new Nikon D800 it came in yesterday. I am pretty thrown off by the controls on the camera to start off with but now there is no AUTO mode?? Is there anyway to shoot on auto in the meantime while I learn to shoot manually. I know I spent 3k and I know nothing about photography. Well I always wanted full frame and I work hard for my money and want to get the full potential out of this new body. I am a hobbist not a pro and a noob. Thts why I have been shooting on Auto mostly my crutch has gone. Someone please help me or send me a tutorial!!

You do realize not many people have the d800? Just read the manual in chunks.

To be quite honest, there isn't a way. If you were still using auto then you weren't ready for the d800. Read your manual. It will take some getting used to. Learn the exposure triangle and try to use a DOF calculator until you get the hang of things.

If its too much camera for you, I'll take it off your hands for free ;)

Send me the camera, I'll make you some videos.

In line with everyone else: have you even read about the camera (other then it being Fx with 36mp)?

Aside from that - stay in P mode, it is automatic.

In line with everyone else: have you even read about the camera (other then it being Fx with 36mp)?

Aside from that - stay in P mode, it is automatic.

I knew I wanted 36mp FX and autofocus HD video was the selling points for me really I thought it would be as user friendly as the D90 didnt think it was so pro. Looks like I have to start learning wht ISO and Apeture and metering are. Also I started reading the manual its pretty dull the first couple of pages. But the quick guide is proving very useful at the moment. P mode is automatic THXS

Send me the camera, I'll make you some videos.

If you were close to me i would gladly meet you with you to let you shoot with it then try and teach me how to use it

Yeah agreed, you were not ready for this camera. its not the camera that will make you take better pictures its the knowledge of how to use the camera. I was waiting for a thread like this to post because often times people buy what they don't need or ready for yet. I am not sure if there is anyone here that will take the time to walk you through on how to use your camera. But, if you were shooting in auto mode and stepped up to this, WoW you got some big ones....perhaps you should of went for the D7000 as it is somewhere in between what you had and this and it did have auto.

On the bright side of things you have a very nice camera that you can grow into.

There are 3 auto modes.

A for Aperture priority. This allows you to set the aperture with the dial on the front of the body (sub-command dial)
S for shutter speed priority. This allows you to set shutter speed with the dial on the rear of the body (command dial)

Both those settings will automatically set the recriprocal setting automatically.

P for Programmed Auto. This sets the Aperture and Shutter speed automatically (can be adjusted)

You do realize this is all in the USER MANUAL. stop being so lazy, you purchased the pinnacle of camera technology, now go read your user manual!

If you've been using aperture priority, i'd just stick with that until you feel ready to learn more, but that said, i'd recommend getting some books on photography basics. I say books instead of websites because you can carry it around with you while shooting.

To be quite honest, there isn't a way. If you were still using auto then you weren't ready for the d800. Read your manual. It will take some getting used to. Learn the exposure triangle and try to use a DOF calculator until you get the hang of things.

If its too much camera for you, I'll take it off your hands for free ;)

You come and give me $2999.99 and Ill let it go.

Seriously, who in their right minds pays $3,000 for a camera so they can shoot in AUTO mode? Bro, just put in in aperture priority and shoot away.

If I could, I would facepalm so hard that a shockwave was created ending the lives of those around me.

But that would be dangerous and irresponsible.

Personally, I don't agree with the "you weren't ready for this camera" mentality. I'd rather people have a camera like this to learn on. It'll make you a better photographer if you have to figure it all out instead of letting the camera do everything.

neither do I. It's ok to buy ahead of your capabilities, but there is some responsibilty that comes with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back