Help me use my D800

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by SilliG, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilliG

SilliG TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  2. SilliG

SilliG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    After some toying around I was able to take it to a car show and shoot around I think the photos came out pretty good. I see I need some work on lighting I think I have to play with the white balance more reading and testing this week.

[​IMG]
    DSC_0418 by SilliG25, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_0398-2 by SilliG25, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_0443 by SilliG25, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_0419 by SilliG25, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_0514-2 by SilliG25, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_0521 by SilliG25, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_0524 by SilliG25, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_0501 by SilliG25, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_0570 by SilliG25, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_0583 by SilliG25, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_0596 by SilliG25, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_0597 by SilliG25, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_0629 by SilliG25, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_0641 by SilliG25, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_0648 by SilliG25, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_0650 by SilliG25, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_0697 by SilliG25, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_0694 by SilliG25, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_0749 by SilliG25, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_0611 by SilliG25, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_0745 by SilliG25, on Flickr

3. StandingBear1983

StandingBear1983 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    SilliG - what lense on the D800 did you use for these?

4. SilliG

SilliG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    nikon 50mm 1.8

5. shaunly

shaunly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Let's see there's A, S, P, M mode and a "secret mode" on Nikons. I call it MA-ISO ;). BTW it's my favorite mode and one I use most of the time.

6. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Looks like you either missed the focus or jigged your camera in a number of these... :(

7. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh boy. Where to start with this one...

No, multi thousand dollar bodies do not have auto mode. If you want to "get the most out of the camera" then you HAVE TO get out of auto mode, even if you're shooting a camera that has it like a d90, auto mode just plain sucks.

What made you decide to buy full frame? Do you even understand the pros/cons of doing so?

To start learning your D800... google the exposure triangle. Start learning the basics of photography by reading online articles, or books. Watch EVERY video tutorial on Photography Tips | Beginner Photography | FroKnowsPhoto - Jared Polin, because even if they don't apply to your camera or type of photography, they can all teach you something.

I also have another solution for you though. You just ship your camera to me, and I'll ship a D80 to you. I mean it's got auto mode, so you'd probably like it better!

8. Tkaczuk

Tkaczuk TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    HAhaha, I'll do the same thing but with my D7000.

9. MartinRead

MartinRead TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am close to mid 40s, and my first camera was a second hand Pentax ME Super 35mm with a 50mm prime lens. It wasn't the flashy camera I wanted, but i saved for a year from my part to,e job to get it. It had no auto, but as I recall it had shutter and aperture priority modes. I bought it from a local camera shop, and the hippy looking guy behind the counter gave me 2 very good pieces of advice. 1. Shoot fully manual to learn how it worls, and 2. don't buy another lens until I knew how the prime worked in all conditions and I could get reliable results. It was over a year until I bought my second lens, and countless rolls of film. I experimented and the tough thing was the time between taking a photo, and seeing it in print. I used to record my ISO, shutter and aperture in a book for each roll of film so I could refer back to the prints. It was tough, but I got to a stage where with my very meager equipment, I had the admiration of most people who saw my prints. I had my own style, and I felt comfortable with it, and I tirelessly worked to improve my technique. And I mever felt the need to upgrade my body, as I wanted a medium format and couldnt spring for it. But really, understanding the relationship between aperture (depth of field) shutter (sharpness) and ISO (graininess, or noise) in any given situation is the key. Get this right, and you can worry a little less about your camera and a little more on what you are shooting, and how you want it to come out creatively.

The clear benefit you have is that you take a shot, and you instantly know what it looks like. At the end of the day this is just a camera, and I know it is an advanced one, but those three things must be mastered before anything else matters greatly on it. I left 35mm years ago, and have not picked up a digital. I waited until it was as good as 35mm, but then I could not choose. Last 2 years I agonized over the Canon 7D, and then the Nikon D7000, and could not make up my mind. And then came the D800, and told my wife that it is what I want for fathers day. All these years later, money is not an issue thanks to a lot of hard work. And I have finaly (well next Sunday on Fathers day) have an SLR again, and its equivalent just about to medium format. I will be able to blow my photos up like I always wanted to.

Some on this forum may argue it is not the best camera for me either to start with having not picked up a single SLR In 15 years. But there is no harm in wanting the best, and the thing that draws me to it, apart from the stunning results it can acheive, is that it demands you have great technique. It doesn't suffer fools lightly, so this Camera suits me, as I don't either. The technical guide even recommends using live mode, as the mirror can cause a slight blur in the image, such is the sharpness of this camera. I love it. So enjoy learning on your camera; the shock of no auto mode is a gift to you once you realise it. I am sure you are able to make better decisions about how you want your pictures to look than your camera can.

But if you want to really make best use of this, you are going to have to get great glass, starting with at least entry level pro glass. I fully understood this when I asked my wife for it, and lucky enough I can afford ot, but I'm not sure you realised this this when you bought it. Guess what the lens I asked her to buy for me to put on it? Yup, 50mm prime. But this time it's the F1.4. I won't wait as long to buy my next lens this time, as there is a whole load of F2.8s I have my eye on......

10. Boney

Boney TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you live near an urban area, look around for a camera or photography club. If its an active one there may be outings to go take pictures and you should be able to get some first hand advice. Most groups like this have some interested and knowledgable people like you find on this forum. The D800 is just another camera and pretty much works like all the others.

11. Enticingimagery

Enticingimagery TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Seriously, you don't buy a $3000 camera to shoot in auto. Anyone saying this is fine is just giving bad advice. You might have been better off spending the money on a fancy compact. Are you going to shoot RAW? If that's a no too, sell the camera and buy something handier to get into. There's a reason people pay a tonne of money for these Full frame bodies, to have ultimate control over the output. Auto mode gives you very little control. You also need to have some very nice lenses to go with.

12. thereyougo!

thereyougo! TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

I wonder if the OP will come back and show us how he has progressed with his D800?

To my surprise I ended up testing one and ultimately buying one with the 14 - 24 and the 28 - 300 VR.....

It is an astounding piece of equipment, but it is perfectly capable of shooting crap if I don't take care. It's not just about not shooting auto but choosing what mode, what aperture to use and knowing why you chose it and knowing the consequences of using that aperture.

Yes the camera has 36 mp. Fantastic. And when you get it right, it is superbly sharp, especially with the best glass (the 14 - 24 is excellent). But if you pick the wrong settings or don't understand why certain apertures have certain effects, then all that the incredible amount of resolution will do is to amplify how crap the shot can be when you get it horridly wrong. Nothing wrong with making mistakes, that's what is so great about digital - you can delete and start again.

Have I RTFM? Ummmmmm no. I have read bits and pieces and played with the camera before i had read a word. But then, I haven't used a camera (other than my iphone camera) in full auto mode for nearly 5 years. I understand pretty well the impact that using a large aperture will have and vice versa what will happen when I use a narrow one. Sometimes I will risk diffraction by using a narrow aperture, but I know why I am doing it. Do I always shoot poster size? No. So why do I have a medium format 40mp camera and a 36mp FF camera? Good question. Do I absolutely need them? No of course not. But they do allow me to have photos I particularly like printed at poster size without interpolation. I can afford the investment, so can if I want get the equipment I desire rather than need. Do I have a responsibility to others to ensure that I know enough before using it? Hell, no. Do I have a responsibility to myself to get to know it as well as I can so I can get the best out of it? You bet your life! I do however have responsibility to both myself and others to try and help myself when asking others for help. That's just pllain common courtesy (or now seemingly less common).

I love the D800. Dynamic range to die for. Sharp. AWB needs a bit of tweaking, but then I always shoot RAW so am able to set it at auto and decide when I get the files on to my computer. I still have the Canon 5D mk III and it does many things well, but the low ISO banding frustrated me so much that I decided to act. It would not have got this shot without creating lots of chroma noise in the shadows:

[​IMG]
    a-look-through-to-big-ben-thru-the-arch by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.