help me with English slang :D

danalec99 said:
terri said:
Walt said:
Isn't IMHO "in my Humble opinion"?

Yes it is - fo shizzle! :wink:

Thanks for the correction; Walt, Terri.
For some reason I thought it was 'honest'.

You've got company mentos :). English isn't my mother tongue!
Don't sweat it. It's my mother tongue and I still mess it up! :oops:

danalec99 said:
terri said:
Walt said:
Isn't IMHO "in my Humble opinion"?

Yes it is - fo shizzle! :wink:

Thanks for the correction; Walt, Terri.
For some reason I thought it was 'honest'.

You've got company mentos :). English isn't my mother tongue!

I thought it meant 'honest', too, so...I'm guessing it kinda means both.

graigdavis said:
It can mean anything you want it to mean. Thats the beauty of the english language. We make it up as we go.

Did you mean American English?

We make it up as we go.
This statement I think, would be a bit radical for a Britisher. :)

danalec99 said:
graigdavis said:
It can mean anything you want it to mean. Thats the beauty of the english language. We make it up as we go.

Did you mean American English?

We make it up as we go.
This statement I think, would be a bit radical for a Britisher. :)

I think it would mean "American English", fo shizzle.... we can butcher it like nobody's biz, and then get proprietary about it, to boot! :p

But you must admit that some shortages are great:
YASP - yet another sunset picture (it was somewhere here some time ago)

In Poland we DO have shortages and slang, but whenever I tried to translate it exactly into English, it appeared funny for almost every Brit or American there. Some perverted things I suppose.

I know an English guy, who leaves here - he is an Eng. teacher, who actually teaches me :) and he always has fun when I'm doing stupid mistakes, because in most cases the meaning is completely different.

You see, I've been learning Eng. since I was 4. And then appeared a funny, and a bit annoying thing: first I learned to write in English, then in Polish - my own language. So I feel quite confident in Eng, but I have many problems with slang :) both - American and English. Also phrasals makes me feel bad :puke-rig:
I don't know who the hell created them :) maybe for you they are extremely easy, but for me they are the same verbs only with different ending - all meaning almost the same :) I have to learn them by hard.

Movies can help up to a certain extent.

danalec99 said:
Movies can help up to a certain extent.

The wife of the doctor wife I mentioned before swore by soap operas. She watched them every day and said nothing helped her English faster. They were full of casual American slang but it was easy to follow along, since the storyline helped put things in context, I suppose.

I always thought that was funny. :D

Shark said:
The English language is the mutt of the world, that's for sure.

Perfect way to put it!

mentos_007 said:
YASP - yet another sunset picture (it was somewhere here some time ago)

Not to be picky..but I think the one posted on here was J.A.B.S. (Just Another Boring Sunset). Heh heh.

danalec99 said:
TY - Thank you
YW - You are welcome
IMHO - In my honest opinion
LOL - Laughs out loudly

Ugh, I consider those to be English Internet slang words not English slang. Or more precisly called acrocyms.

I've never seen imho, just imo. i guess its like lamo and roflmfao (the user, and IRL *in real life* friend hollychick actually had a boyfriend whould actually say "Roflmao" IRL. I have been teasing her about it saying, "Ralfmayo" to her online because I'm not loosery enough to say it IRL. lol

Not to be picky..but I think the one posted on here was J.A.B.S. (Just Another Boring Sunset).

but I've seen yasp too :)

I do watch many movies an tv series in their original version... especially "Keeping up appearences" that's great! Especcialy Hiacynth and Onslow

Most reactions

Back