Help me with my decision

florotory

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.florotory.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have enough money to buy the D850 however I have a vacation coming on Oct 7th to Grand Canyon. With the amount of preorders that Nikon has gotten already I'm afraid that I won't get the camera before then.

So should I take a chance and get the D850 and hope it gets here in time or do I just settle for the D810. I do have my old D3300 I could use but man it would be nice to have an FX camera out there with my new 14-24mm.

Also would I have better chance of getting getting it sooner from Nikon or an authorized seller?

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

IMO, you should get a D810 before your trip.

And that is not "settling", in my opinion, for a better camera for landscape than the D850.

For landscape and portraiture, the D810 still is the better choice. You get a more landscape-friendly dynamic range and more manageable file sizes in the D810, while the 850's advantage in faster focusing is irrelevant for landscape shots on a tripod.

IMO, you should get a D810 before your trip.

And that is not "settling", in my opinion, for a better camera for landscape than the D850.

For landscape and portraiture, the D810 still is the better choice. You get a more landscape-friendly dynamic range and more manageable file sizes in the D810, while the 850's advantage in faster focusing is irrelevant for landscape shots on a tripod.

I apppreciate the reply. I also do airshow, automotive photography as well. I also am wanting to start doing more cinematography as well

In real terms the Fx will give better results, but, the d3300 will do excellent with the correct lenses. If in doubt rent an FX and buy the camera you want later. I'd bet at iso 100 with tripod and a bit of effort you'll be the only person who'll know it wasn't the d850. Go on, enjoy the trip and don't leave an as yet unreleased camera get a second thought

Also in my decision I'm looking for a camera where I won't totally feel the need to buy another (upgrade) for 4-5 years.

I don't know of ANY camera that will allow that. Within 2 years there usually been some interesting advances to tempt more GAS. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure that the d850 is a good idea for a trip like this. Ideally you want to be reasonably familiar with your camera before a big trip. You don't want to be spending the whole time looking up how to do things that aren't quite where you're used to them, or finding after you get back that menu setting makes the camera set-up more to your taste. Ensuring you have a few weeks to get familiar is a much better prospect.

I already sold my D7100. And I've been planning on upgrading to FX for a while the D850 and vacation just came at a bad time. I lll have my D3400 as a backup while I'm there as well. I don't plan on getting rid of it since that's what I use it for (rarely). Either way I'll be upgrading it's just the decisions to gamble and hope it arrives or go with D810 and hope I don't regret it

Order the 850 and then rent the 810 for the trip if delivery won't be in time.

I'm going to preorder the 850 tomorrow. Adorama has free 2 day shipping and no sales tax. Every keep their fingers crossed that it arrives in time [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I ordered from Nikonusa directly on the first day. Hoping I would be in the first set of shipments. But with it being a higher end camera, I am sure they would sell pretty quickly. You might call and see how long the line is. And then maybe contact Nikonusa and ask them. Since it's so new, B&H and Adorama are only discounting like $4 from retail list. So Nikonusa is only couple dollars more.

I'm going to preorder the 850 tomorrow. Adorama has free 2 day shipping and no sales tax. Every keep their fingers crossed that it arrives in time [emoji5]

I ordered from Nikonusa directly on the first day. Hoping I would be in the first set of shipments. But with it being a higher end camera, I am sure they would sell pretty quickly. You might call and see how long the line is. And then maybe contact Nikonusa and ask them. Since it's so new, B&H and Adorama are only discounting like $4 from retail list. So Nikonusa is only couple dollars more.

I did email nikon and got the typical generic response with no usable info.

I called B&H and they couldn't give me an answer even as to how many pre orders they have.

Adorama has 1000 preorders so they said a couple months.

Nikon couldn't give me a straight answer either.

Only way I would order from Nikon is if I knew I'd get it before i leave for the Grand Canyon. Mainly due to the fact they charge sales tax which is another $200 on top of the price of the camera.

Most reactions

Back